Topic: STEERING PROBLEM IN MY '36?

Flatbob    -- 08-02-2017 @ 11:35 AM
  Have a '40 rebuilt steering box in my '36 but steering wheel won't stay centered when driving. Have 4 1/2 turns lock to lock and 2 1/4 turns off of center in both directions, steering wheel centered with tires straight ahead, problem occurs when I'm driving in that the the steering wheel won't stay centered, especially after making a hard turn in either direction.

When adjusting the steering with the box in the car, never could feel the "bump" when turning steering wheel that confirms correct mesh with worm and sector. So, either the wrong amount of shims installed or the worm is worn out? Would either of these conditions explain steering wheel not staying centered?

carcrazy    -- 08-02-2017 @ 1:26 PM
  One way to insure that the steering wheel will stay centered after making turns is to have enough caster in the front suspension. A general rule is that the more positive caster, the stronger the centering action of the steering. For a 1936 Ford the amount of caster specified in Motor's Auto Repair Manual is +6 3/4 degrees. Note that more caster will require more effort to turn the steering wheel. Everything is a compromise.

supereal    -- 08-03-2017 @ 11:52 AM
  To locate the correct center spot in the steering gear you will have to disconnect the drag link (the part that connects the steering system to the front axle), and turn the steering wheel until you feel the center spot on the shaft worm gear. If you can't feel it, remove the cap and lock on the top of the steering gear and turn the adjustment down slightly, but no more than 1/32 of an inch. If you don't find the center spot, go back and turn the adjustment back where you started, plus 1/32 inch. If the adjustment was turned at sometime in an effort to reduce steering play, that will affect the ability to center. If turned down too much, the worm may be damaged. One you have found the center spot, with the front wheels pointed straight ahead, and the steering gear still in the center spot, adjust the drag link to fit the shaft on the steering gear. If the steering wheel is not in the right orientation, remove it from the shaft and reinstall it in the correct position. Check and fill the steering box to be sure it is properly lubricated. The unit usually leaks over time, and the proximity to the exhaust manifold may have turned the oil to a stiff consistency that wil hinder adjustment.

len47merc    -- 08-03-2017 @ 12:09 PM
  That is a great post and process description Bob - thanks for your reply!

Steve

Flatbob    -- 08-03-2017 @ 5:03 PM
  Thanks for the help Super. So, with all the shims removed and and adjusting screw turned to the point of contact with worm and sector I should feel a bump? I now have shims installed but with the screw all the way in plus 1/8 turn or so I feel nothing. Remove shims and try again or is this worm shot?

supereal    -- 08-04-2017 @ 1:46 PM
  Having all the shims out and turning the adjustment all the way down leads me to believe the worm gear and/or the bearings are at fault. C&G (800/266-o470) will rebuild the box for you. Cost depends on the year, model, and diagnosis of the problem. As it is a tricky job, it is best left to the pros.

autoluke    -- 08-08-2017 @ 8:01 AM
  Also in my '41

Had the "new"car out for a road test, and noticed at least a 30 degree swing in the wheel, which caused me to check the adjusting screw.
After realizing that turning the screw clockwise created very little improvement, I pulled the lower cover plate to examine the bearing.
No shims are present, BUT did find a few pieces of what I believe to be from the worm gear.

Now on to removing the entire steering box ..

Phil

autoluke    -- 08-11-2017 @ 2:44 AM
  Looking for a reputable shop to rebuilt the steering box.
Anyone in the Northeast ?

autoluke    -- 08-11-2017 @ 2:48 AM
  ERROR ..to "rebuild" the steering box.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-11-2017 @ 8:32 AM
  There is a company that advertises in the AACA magazine called Lares Corp. They advertise all sorts of steering components. I don't know if they rebuild steering boxes though. They are located in Minnesota I believe, so that might be a closer option for you. www.larescorp.com, 1888-287-0225.

autoluke    -- 08-15-2017 @ 9:01 AM
  I have now contacted Lares and plan to send my steering box to them for a rebuild..

Another problem .

When sliding the box forward for removal , not enough clearance between the front axle and spring . Very close, but it appears that I will first need to remove the pitman arm .
Not an easy task while working on my back.

Any advice out there ?

carcrazy    -- 08-15-2017 @ 10:04 AM
  Pitman Arm Pullers can be purchased for a reasonable price (less than $20) at your local O'Reilly auto parts store.

autoluke    -- 08-20-2017 @ 10:44 AM
  Pulled the pitman as suggested, but one other problem exists.
Still not enough room to bring the box forward as the space between the spring and the axle is too tight.

It appears that disconnecting the left hand spring shackle , and lowering the axle might do the trick.

Any advice before I experiment will be appreciated.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11043