Topic: Cowl Vent Gasket

len47merc    -- 07-30-2017 @ 7:32 AM
  Still have the original vent gasket on the '47, and, similar to my other post from this morning concerning door seals, am wondering whether DC makes the best cowl vent gaskets now as well. Please advise.

Secondly, will new vent gaskets absolutely prevent water/rain leakage into the interior if the lever arm is properly adjusted? Or do they simply limit the amount of rain/water that one can expect in the interior? Bottom line - should one expect these cowl vents to always have some show of water under the most heavy of downpours/when washing the car or no? Thanks -

Steve

ken ct.    -- 07-30-2017 @ 12:33 PM
  Yea new gasket and still leaks !!! ken New seal on the top an that still leaks !!! ken ct lol , I think most leak some,wasen't the greatest of Fords ideas

40cpe    -- 07-30-2017 @ 3:45 PM
  I don't have a '41, but my '38 doesn't seem to leak at the cowl vent when I wash the car. I've never had it out in a rain storm, though.

I don't have the tubes on the windshield opening drains and I do get a few drops of water on each side of the mat after a wash job.

TomO    -- 07-30-2017 @ 4:08 PM
  I have heard that Drake makes the best cowl vent gasket. If the gasket is installed correctly and the handle adjusted to firmly close the vent, it should not leak. (for a few years)

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-30-17 @ 4:09 PM

Drbrown    -- 07-30-2017 @ 6:53 PM
  My '47 looks like it has original gasket; surface has some shallow cracking in finish. Doesn't leak.

I remember a post either here or on Barn by a member who recommended temporarily placing one or two bricks on top of vent door after installing a new gasket. As TomO suggested, I would think properly adjusted linkage should solve most or all of the problem.

Personally, have never had occasion to try it. What I have continues to work for me.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 7-30-17 @ 6:57 PM

len47merc    -- 07-31-2017 @ 6:54 AM
  Thanks everyone. Sounds like some have experienced some leakage even with the lever arm properly adjusted, others not so much. My original seal sounds similar to yours in condition Drbrown - just got a few drops under the one heavy rain condition I've experienced in this car this past weekend.

Appreciate the endorsement TomO. I'll look it up today.

Steve

4dFordSC    -- 07-31-2017 @ 2:22 PM
  <<I have heard that Drake makes the best cowl vent gasket.>>

I note that Drake's website states, "These gaskets seal out drafts and wind noise," but makes no mention of rain.

len47merc    -- 07-31-2017 @ 2:33 PM
  Don't believe you read far enough 4dFordSC. The following sentence after the one you quoted states 'All styles are individually molded, using space age quality neoprene sponge rubber, designed to effectively seal the cowl vent from water. Quality material.' Fwiw.

Steve

4dFordSC    -- 07-31-2017 @ 2:50 PM
  That language doesn't appear on the page I pulled up, but I've no doubt it's more accurate.

42guy    -- 07-31-2017 @ 4:22 PM
  I haven't had any leaks. Got it from Carpenter.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11029