Topic: Door Seals

len47merc    -- 07-30-2017 @ 7:26 AM
  A somewhat dated discussion on our Forum indicated Dennis Carpenter then made the best quality door seals. Is this still the case?

I've resisted the temptation to change mine on the '47 in the interest of anal-like, perhaps misguided originality, but given my Saturday excursions are becoming increasingly longer, which increases the potential for encountering rain, it is time to bite the bullet. Thanks -

Steve

Drbrown    -- 07-30-2017 @ 9:12 PM
  Personally, before doing any replacements, I'd first test the existing seals for leakage with a garden hose using moderate water pressure. Unless they are torn or damaged, why replace ? I use glycerin to clean and lubricate door and windows seals and other rubber items - available in small containers at some drug stores. The door seals on my '47 were replaced years ago and I still must give the doors a harty push for them to latch.

len47merc    -- 07-31-2017 @ 6:45 AM
  You provided the answer in your reply Drbrown. Everyone that knows me will confirm I have remained steadfast in my resolve to keep every original part on this '47 on the car. Since owning it it's only been driven in the rain twice and both times were due to surprise showers - once locally at 35 mph and another on the trip to Gettysburg last year again at 35 mph in the mountains in VA. Other than a couple of residual drops through the cowl vent seal I never saw a problem.

This past Saturday, on a very unusual for central NC in August low humidity 78-82 degree day, my wife and I drove it 110 miles one way through God's country to an anniversary celebration which included ~100 vintage cars or so. On the return we were in a bit of a rush so we took a 70 mph US highway (only drive the '47 at 55-60 mph max) and got caught in a bit of a pop-up downpour at 55 mph. A modest amount of wind-driven rain was coming through the front passenger-side door and wicking/whipping horizontally toward the rear of the door - not so much as to create a panic but enough to say I gotta do something about it. We currently do now and also plan in the future on driving this car longer distances in the future (including 3-4 bucket list 1,000 mile+ tours). The potential is always there when venturing beyond your planned-out for weather local Sunday cruises to get caught like this so, the original question posed above remains...

Who makes the best door seals now? DC? Drake? Thoughts/experiences are appreciated.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-31-17 @ 12:18 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11028