Topic: Oil filter 1940 ford

Ramsey    -- 07-27-2017 @ 8:29 AM
  I just am changing the oil on a 1940 ford newly purchased.Is it common for the oil filter to be installed for looks only complete with correct looking plumbing ?Its all there but no element or oil in res.Clean like new.Can see were hole in block was welded closed.Are these systems troublesome when used?

This message was edited by Ramsey on 7-27-17 @ 8:56 AM

kubes40    -- 07-27-2017 @ 9:16 AM
  I don't know how common a practice it is.
I would be and am nervous about NOS hoses.

I am a firm believer that if you keep your oil clean - frequent changes - an oil filter is not a true necessity. Will it "help"? Yes, no doubt it will help. However, I'd suggest minimally. Today's fuels and oils keep our engines MUCH cleaner that the fuels and oils of just a couple of decades ago.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

42wagon    -- 07-27-2017 @ 4:15 PM
  Ramsey
Prior to 1946 oil filters were an accessory, not standard equipment. Somewhere I read that only something like 35% of the oil passes through the filter. It would seem to me that someone went to a lot of work to install a dummy oil filter when a 1940 would be correct for judging purposes without it.

As Mike says having a working oil filter can't hurt but isn't a necessity both for engine performance and appearance.
Ted

Drbrown    -- 07-27-2017 @ 9:38 PM
  I believe that between oil changes .... the type, quality, viscosity and frequency of oil changes has a more significant effect on engine life than filtering a relatively small quantity of oil.

There are unusual situations where i.e. metal grit from a defective bear may enter the engine oil system, but also believe that particles like that more quickly settle into the bottom of the oil pan and not get into the filtering system to be captured there.

I can't promise that is true to my experience but can say .... my '47 with it original 59 AB engine has no oil filter. It has about 35,000 on its last rebuild, doesn't burn oil, and has the typical few oil "drips" under the bell housing when parked. I use 10w-3o high detergent Penn oil and change it every 1000 miles. Engine runs at abt 175-180 degrees and shows oil pressures of 70 lbs cold @ idle/20 lbs hot @ idle; 40-50 lbs pressure hot at highway speeds. I don't add zinc but do add MMO to my gas.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11019