Topic: 35 or 37 Motor

doghair3    -- 07-26-2017 @ 7:34 PM
  Hello to All,

New to the site so I still need to learn the ropes. I recently purchased a 1935 Ford and the previous owner (not the original owner) thought the motor was a 1937. How can I tell if it is a 1935 or a 1937? Any help would be appreciated.

MG    -- 07-26-2017 @ 8:08 PM
  Attached below is a picture of the flathead engine in my '37 Ford. It is original to the car.

Now, if you can post a picture of the engine in your '35 which should have its water pumps in the front of each cylinder head....

CharlieStephens    -- 07-26-2017 @ 10:01 PM
  It is also possible that you have a '37 engine that someone has installed '35 heads on. The the pumps are in the front of the head and there is a provision for water pumps in the front of the block that has been covered with block off plates that is what you have. I have attached a photograph of the block off plate Ford made to enable dealers to install the '37 engine in the earlier cars.

Charlie Stephens

doghair3    -- 07-27-2017 @ 7:01 PM
  Hopefully this works. I have tried to attach a picture of the motor in my car. The water pumps are located in front of the motor at the end of the heads. I never understood when the change was made between dumping the radiator hoses into the top of the head as opposed to placing the water pumps at the end of the head. I need educated.

MG    -- 07-27-2017 @ 7:16 PM
  Yup, looks like you have the "block off plate" Charlie described above....

CharlieStephens    -- 07-27-2017 @ 10:44 PM
  doghair3,
In answer to your question. When the V8 came out in 1932 the pumps were at the front of the head. Beginning in 1937 the pumps were relocated to the front of the engine block and would remain there for the rest of flathead production (1953). This new location has two advantages. First with this design the water is under a slight pressure which raises the boiling point. The design with the pumps in the head sucked water out of the engine slightly reducing the pressure and the boiling point. The second advantage is that the water pumps are now pumping the cooler water from the bottom of the radiator when compared to the hotter water exiting the engine. The cooler water is a better environment for the water pumps.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-27-17 @ 11:10 PM

MICHV8    -- 07-28-2017 @ 9:33 AM
  MG
Did all the 37 heads have the firing order? I was once told that those were of a French manufacture...

MG    -- 07-28-2017 @ 10:57 AM
  MICHV8 - I've been told that they are British manufacture....

This from a Ford Barn Thread > https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188996&highlight=1937+Cylinder+heads

This message was edited by MG on 7-28-17 @ 11:20 AM

doghair3    -- 07-28-2017 @ 7:23 PM
  Thanks to all of you who tried to answer my question. But I admit I'm a little thick up top. Based an what MG and Charlie said (if I understand them correctly) I can assume My motor is original to a 35 model. Right? I guess I need to get a good book (with pictures haha)

My best to all.

Tom H.

MG    -- 07-28-2017 @ 8:21 PM
  It looks to me as though your car has a '37 engine with '35 cylinder heads....

It's a very nice car by the way....

CharlieStephens    -- 07-28-2017 @ 10:41 PM
  MG has it right. Your block is a '37 (or maybe '38).

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-28-17 @ 10:42 PM

Stroker    -- 07-29-2017 @ 9:21 AM
  This discussion about 37 engines is particularly interesting; as there were so many configuration changes made from the period 36 to 41 with things becoming pretty much settled down until 1949

Kube has also contributed a lot of documentation on "optional" engines. in 1940, which makes the subject even more fascinating.

Here's an example of a question I've sought an answer to for many years.

My dad bought my 38 Ford Deluxe Station Wagon NEW.

It was built at the Long Beach assembly plant, painted in "Spring Color" Desert Sand, and he ordered it with a Columbia overdrive, 4.44:1 gearing, (so he could pull his stock trailer in the mountains), a dealer-installed spotlight, leather front seat, radio but no heater, as he didn't care for the idea of heating the car with an exhaust heat exchanger.

Dad was a San Bernardino County Deputy Sheriff as well as a rancher. I wasn't born until 1939, so I only "got to know" this car in the mid forties, and by then the engine had been replaced with a 59A.

My older brother, however was old enough to remember when the car was new. Some years ago, he stopped by when I was installing another 59A in the car, and told me that the Stromberg 97 I had on it was "wrong", as dad had special-ordered the "truck engine" in this Station Wagon, and it came with a Chandler Groves.

Brother said that the engine that came in the car was a 90 hp, rather than an 85.

Nothing I had read regarding the specifications for Ford vehicles in 1938 would seem to make this plausible, although I was aware of the "running change" on carbs about mid-year and the switch from 21 to 24 studs that occurred about the same time. With all the options, the car "went out the door" for $1300, and I still have the cancelled check to that effect. That's almost $500 more that a 38 deluxe wagon.

So, was brother mistaken, or is it possible that a law enforcement officer could "special order" a Station Wagon in 1938 with a 90 hp engine? I will probably never know "for sure", but oral history often has a "basis".

Somewhere, I have the original invoice from the Ford Dealer in Pomona California. As I recall, it did not "itemize" any engine option, just listed all the "extras" like the leather seat, Columbia, radio, spotlight, etc.

1934 Ford    -- 07-29-2017 @ 5:19 PM
  Doghair3,
Don't dispair, your 35 car with a 37 engine could last a lifetime with that later model engine with insert bearings. A real Early Ford guy might never notice the blockoff plates on the block, once they see the water pumps on the heads. It has been a common repair fix for 80 years now and you'll find lots of other early Ford V8's with the same fix if you look.
If this engine performs well, forget it an enjoy the car as is. It's still a 35 Ford to me.

1934 Ford's since 1972

doghair3    -- 07-29-2017 @ 7:06 PM
  Thanks again to everybody who took the time for the feedback.

JM    -- 07-30-2017 @ 5:35 AM
  The '37 to early '38 21 stud engine is actually the best of the 21 stud flathead engines based on improved cooling, insert mains, and thicker cylinder walls that can be safely bored up to 3-3/16" diameter.

John

This message was edited by JM on 7-30-17 @ 5:38 AM

haro    -- 09-24-2017 @ 8:42 PM
  What years did the 21 stud flatheads have aluminum heads & intake?

Thank you for your help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11016