Topic: Left wiper '36 Ford Fordor touring sedan

flatfoot    -- 07-26-2017 @ 5:16 PM
  I have installed a second wiper with the bar extending from the Rt side wiper. While going down the freeway the right side wiper blew off at 60 MPH. This is the second time. I pretty sure I installed the 8" blade correctly. I am also pretty sure I installed the wiper correctly. The wiper arm part where the bar is attached stayed attached but the arm and blade came off. Any ideas?

ken ct.    -- 07-26-2017 @ 5:50 PM
  Yea the second wiper doesn't work very well go with the original 1 left side wiper.Dont ask how I know. ken ct.

1934 Ford    -- 07-26-2017 @ 7:03 PM
  While I don't do 60 MPH on the Interstate, I tow it on a trailer faster than that and have had your problem. I switched to boat type wipers & blades AND tape them down when on the trailer. They have more down pressure on the wiper arms against the glass.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 7-27-17 @ 7:04 AM

flatfoot    -- 07-31-2017 @ 3:22 PM
  Thanks. I agree. That's what I'm doing.

wmsteed    -- 08-03-2017 @ 9:49 AM
  The dual wiper assembly on my '36 coupe is original to the car. A single vacuum motor on the left connected to the right side with a "slave" bar to the right side.
I have driven my car at highway speeds in excess off 100 mph and in every weather condition there is, I don't recall ever having a problem with the arm coming off..
I do keep an eye on the wiper arm attachment "ring" that holds it to the pivot post and I use modern pressure type wiper blades in lieu of the original blade type..
It would appear to me that if the arm is coming off of the pivot post, the post does not have a deep enough grove for the retaining ring, or the spring on the arm is to weak to maintain pressure onto the windshield.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

flatfoot    -- 08-03-2017 @ 8:11 PM
  Thanks, Bill. I'm not in anyway sure why it happens. I am pretty sure, however, that it is operator error. Human operator. Maybe my rt side connector is too long. It does not look the same as the left side. Lt side looks shorter. It never comes off. Where do you find the modern pressure type wipers for the car? Mine is 8 inches long.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11015