Topic: stuck hood on 49 ford

jfarrell    -- 07-24-2017 @ 3:37 PM
  I closed the hood on my 49 ford and now I can't get it open. I suspect the wire in the cable broke or the lock screw wasn't tight enough. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the hood open without dismantling the front end of the car?

Grant    -- 07-24-2017 @ 6:38 PM
  We had a '50 Ford which acted like that occasionally.

The solution was to have another person sitting in the driver's seat, pulling all the way out on the hood release cable.

Then I beat on the hood gently with my fist, at the front in the middle directly above the hood latch, and eventually the hood would pop open.

Definitely not a procedure that would have appeared in factory Service Bulletins, but maybe it will work for you. Good luck.

jfarrell    -- 07-25-2017 @ 1:24 PM
  Grant, thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work. The slug on the end of the hood release wire wasn't tightened down as it should have been (my fault), but I finally got it open.
The only other response I found on the web was a suggestion that by removing the driver's side grill bar you could get your hand up far enough to release the hood catch.
I didn't have to do that, but was able to get an ice pick-type tool with a hooked end into hole on the raised tab for the hood release cable. To get enough leverage I put a rope on the handle of the ice pick tool and pulled the hood release open. It was a lot of trial and error to get the hooked end into the hole in the hood release tab, but it worked. Hopefully no one else has this problem and does not need to find out if "my way" works for them. Jim Farrell

sarahcecelia    -- 07-25-2017 @ 4:40 PM
  That hood release wire is supposed to be bent on the outer end to prevent that from happening! Bend a small "U" in it near the outer edge of the little piece on the end with the screw that you forgot to tighten!

Regards, Steve Lee

jfarrell    -- 07-25-2017 @ 5:12 PM
  Will do. Thanks. Jim Farrell

Grant    -- 07-26-2017 @ 4:00 AM
  Glad to hear you got the hood open. Happy motoring.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=11009