Topic: 1946 ford Coupe

Johnnyboyblue    -- 07-16-2017 @ 10:23 AM
  I have a 1946 Ford 2 door coupe. How can i tell the difference between the regular coupe and a business coupe. Mine did not come with a rear seat but it looks like there could of been one there. The space is very small so it would have been a small seat? I also have a Texas title to my ford and the vin number is #T220195 I could find any info on my vin with this number? I would appreciate any help i could get. Thanks John

len47merc    -- 07-16-2017 @ 10:31 AM
  John - what is the number stamped on the left front top of the frame just in front of the horns and to the driver's side of the driver's side water pump? This is the serial number for your car - no VIN numbers existed at that time though DMV's typically use the serial number as the 'VIN'. The number you referenced does not correlate to any 1946 or otherwise serial number, unless under the utmost remote of circumstances the 'T' prefix was used for a Texas title in place of the standard '1GA' prefix and you have a 1942 frame. If you have not visited this page below it may help you out a bit on this:

http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-16-17 @ 10:33 AM

42wagon    -- 07-16-2017 @ 11:00 AM
  In 1946 there was only the coupe and the sedan coupe -no business coupe. Deluxe Coupe 69A-77A and Super Deluxe Coupe 69A-77B and Super Deluxe Sedan Coupe 69A-72B. The coupe had no rear seat the sedan coupe had a rear seat.

As Steve has told you in 1946 there was no VIN number as we know it and no way to tell from the numbers in the car anything other than the engine serial number. This number was stamped on the top of the transmission when the engine and transmission were assembled at the Rouge engine plant. When the engine was installed in a frame the number was transferred to the left frame rail near the front cross member.

The number you have bears to relationship to any Ford serial number. Perhaps it was assigned at some point by the Texas DMV. Hopefully they also stamped it somewhere on your car so you can identify it as the car you have a title for. Otherwise how do you know you have a title for the car you are standing next to?

Ted

woodiewagon46    -- 07-16-2017 @ 12:40 PM
  In the book, "Ford, Closing the Years of Tradition", it states that the Business Coupe, (yes I know that Ford did not have an official designation of Business Coupe) had fixed quarter windows and the Sedan Coupe, (with rear seat) had push out quarter windows.

Johnnyboyblue    -- 07-16-2017 @ 12:56 PM
  Steve i have looked all over the frame and no numbers. I currently have the body off the frame and just completed sand blasting and powder coating the frame. I also looked all over the body and doors. No vin number. I agree that the Texas Dmv put their own number on the title. I cannot find a single number anywhere on my car. I really have no way to prove that my title matches my car. When I get my car back on the road i will take it to the DMV and have a number stamped on the frame? Thanks for the reply. John

Johnnyboyblue    -- 07-16-2017 @ 1:04 PM
  Ted I bought the car without a motor or transmission I have purchased another engine and transmission and I was trying to find out some info on my car. I guess there is no way to find out where it was made, and what the original motor was. My title goes back to 1983 in Texas so i guess they just assigned a number of their own. Thanks for the reply

Johnnyboyblue    -- 07-16-2017 @ 1:07 PM
  Do all of the Coupes have the same size doors? I was told that there are some with smaller doors? My 46 looks like it did have a back seat in it at one time in its life. Thanks for the reply John

Johnnyboyblue    -- 07-16-2017 @ 1:09 PM
  I do have the push out windows in the rear but my car is not a sedan? John

len47merc    -- 07-16-2017 @ 1:16 PM
  John - these serial numbers are hard stamped into the frame - in up to 3 places on a '46 frame - so it would be surprising to not find any numbers. Somebody would've had to go to extremes to remove them which would beg the question 'why?'.

It may take some scr*ping and cleaning to find them, particularly on the top, front left (driver's side) of the frame. Years of surface rust and/or oil fume grime, as well as multiple layers of paint, can obscure it and make it very difficult to see.

Steve

woodiewagon46    -- 07-16-2017 @ 3:54 PM
  Their seems to be some confusion as to the wording "coupe sedan". Most of us think a sedan as being a car with front and rear seating, ether two door or four door. That's what some Ford literature is calling a coupe with a rear seat.

40cpe    -- 07-16-2017 @ 4:15 PM
  The coupe sedan with a rear seat had longer doors, like a 2-door sedan would have. The coupe with no rear seat had shorter doors as a 4-door would have. Google images of "1946 ford coupe" and you will see examples of both.

This message was edited by 40cpe on 7-17-17 @ 7:23 AM

40cpe    -- 07-16-2017 @ 4:23 PM
  short door coupe

42wagon    -- 07-16-2017 @ 5:18 PM
  Johnny
In 1946 there was a choice of only two engines.A V-8 and a straight 6. All had a three speed standard transmissions. Your car most likely had the V-8. According to the V8 Album a coupe had doors that were 34.83" wide. The sedan coupe had doors that were 43.56" wide. For those that maybe confusing a Sedan Coupe and a Tudor the bodies are totally different. The sedan coupe shares the body sh*ll with the coupe.

As has been pointed out, the serial number was stamped in three places along the top of the left frame rail. Two of these would only be exposed if the body were removed. If you remove the rust, paint, and congealed oil you should be able to find one or more of these numbers. However do not be too aggressive in your cleanup efforts. They maybe easily obliterated.

40cpe    -- 07-17-2017 @ 6:54 AM
  The original poster said the frame has been sand blasted and powder coated. It might be difficult to find serial numbers on it now.

Depending on how familiar the owner is with original fords, there is an outside chance the frame is reproduction/aftermarket.

This message was edited by 40cpe on 7-17-17 @ 6:59 AM

len47merc    -- 07-17-2017 @ 8:14 AM
  You're right 40cpe - I failed to consider the sandblasting and powder coating. Not certain how one can validate that car applies to the title. Somehow I'd try to get that addressed if at all possible while the body is off the frame.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10978