Topic: 1951 Ford with overdrive

BUCKAWHO    -- 07-15-2017 @ 9:04 AM
  Hi....Is the car supposed to be stopped when changing the cable from standard to overdrive and back, or can this be done while moving? So far, I've only done this while stopped. BT

deluxe40    -- 07-15-2017 @ 10:00 AM
  According to the '51 owner's Manual: "If it is necessary to lock out the unit while your car is in motion, press down hard on the accelerator, pull out the control handle, and release the accelerator." What this means is press the kick down switch under the accelerator pedal WHILE YOU ARE ACCELERATING to drop back into passing gear, which is really just conventional drive. I have done this to test the kick down switch, but normally wait until I have stopped to pull out the handle. The manual doesn't say anything about pushing the handle in while moving, but I think I do that routinely. After pushing in the handle, the overdrive doesn't engage until you accelerate a bit and then let off the pedal.

wmsteed    -- 07-15-2017 @ 10:19 AM
  Generally speaking it is not a good idea to attempt as shift on any OD when the vehicle is not in motion, this is even true on the Columbia.s...

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

40cpe    -- 07-15-2017 @ 10:37 AM
  Just remember that you CANNOT shift the OD cable while the transmission is in overdrive. You can shift it back and forth while in straight drive with a little pressure on the accelerator.

BUCKAWHO    -- 07-16-2017 @ 5:07 AM
  Well, I guess with differing answers, I'll continue to change from standard to overdrive, and back, only when stopped. Has worked well, so far. Thick carpet prevents the pedal from actuating the kickdown switch. I sure don't want to bust anything. BT

carcrazy    -- 07-16-2017 @ 7:29 AM
  You have come to the correct conclusion, only enable the overdrive system when the car is stationary.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10975