Topic: LebaronBonney upholstery installation

1937sedandelivery    -- 07-13-2017 @ 9:28 AM
  Hello,
I expect this has been discussed many times before. I have a 37 Fordor Deluxe with all original interior, though it is in very poor condition. I want to get the car completely re-upholstered, and maintain its originality as much as possible. Everything needs to be replaced, including the back window curtain.
LebaronBonney seems to be the "go-to" supplier. I would appreciate some pros & cons experiences feedback.

Question: should I have it installed by someone with experience in that field? or is it reasonable for the DIY'er to do it? I have never done any upholstery work, nor am I particularly good at it.

Thanks Folks,
gregg

sarahcecelia    -- 07-13-2017 @ 1:05 PM
  I have used Lebaron Bonney for a new top on my 1940 convertible , and new interior for my 1950 Custom Tudor, and sent my passenger assist straps, for the 1950, to them and they made them like they came from the factory! I highly recommend them, but have a professional car upholstery man do the installation!

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 7-13-17 @ 1:06 PM

1937sedandelivery    -- 07-13-2017 @ 1:45 PM
  Thanks Steve. I think I will pay the bucks to have a local shop do the installation.
Good tip about the assist straps. Didn't know you could send something like that in and have it done.
Gregg

CharlieStephens    -- 07-13-2017 @ 2:08 PM
  I believe that LeBaronBonney has a relationship with some installers. They are "approved" or "certified" or something like that. If you get one of these installers do the work including ordering the upholstery it will cost a little more but if there is a problem hopefully they will own the problem instead of you.

Charlie Stephens

1937sedandelivery    -- 07-13-2017 @ 4:04 PM
  Charlie,
I just checked. They have a "certified" installer in Phoenix, but I am 100 miles away in Tucson. I don't trust my car enough to take it up there in this heat. I will try a local shop here in town to see if they have ever installed a LB upholstery kit before. My guess is that they will say "oh, sure, we can do that". Will see where the road takes me.
Thanks,
Gregg

CharlieStephens    -- 07-13-2017 @ 4:55 PM
  Gregg,

Try contacting the local EFV8 Club or Model A club and see if they can recommend anyone. I am sure anyone can put one in but you should go to someone that understands the old cars. A friend's '32 came back from the shop with a lot of chromed Phillips head screws (they looked good but weren't right and the shop didn't know the difference).

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-13-17 @ 4:56 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10970