Topic: Re: Generator polarizing

sarahcecelia    -- 07-13-2017 @ 8:10 AM
  I do hope everyone realizes that anytime you take a generator, regulator or battery, "out of service" (this means even disconnecting the wires of those units) the system MUST BE POLARIZED AGAIN.To polarize a generator with a 6 volt positive gound system, take a jumper wire and connect it to the "A" terminal on the generator and strike the other end on the (-)negative terminal of the battery for only a split second,(a spark will occur) You have re-polarized it.

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 7-13-17 @ 8:13 AM

TomO    -- 07-13-2017 @ 9:45 AM
  Your procedure is NOT correct for an 1932-1948 Ford with positive ground. The correct procedure for a Ford is to remove the field wire from the voltage regulator terminal and touch it to the battery terminal of the voltage regulator, with the battery connected normally.

If you disconnect the battery, before servicing the generator or regulator and reconnecting the battery after all connections have been restored, it is normally not required to polarize the generator.

Tom

kubes40    -- 07-13-2017 @ 10:37 AM
  Tom, Thanks for correcting this...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

len47merc    -- 07-13-2017 @ 11:24 AM
  EDIT/correction

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-13-17 @ 11:25 AM

len47merc    -- 07-13-2017 @ 11:25 AM
  EDIT/Correction

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-13-17 @ 11:26 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 07-14-2017 @ 4:48 PM
  But the fact remains, YOU MUST POLARIZE UNDER ANY OF THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-14-2017 @ 4:49 PM
  You can also go from field to the battery post.

sarahcecelia    -- 07-15-2017 @ 12:26 PM
  That's the procedure for "B" generators (MOST Fords). Disconnect the field wire from the regulator,and strike it on the battery post on the regulator. A small spark means it's polarized.

For "A" generators (mostly, but not all, General Motors), strike the battery and armature posts. when you see a small spark it's polarized.

In the back of the generator you can see if If the field wire is connected to the insulated brush, it's an "A", if the field wire is connected to the non-insulated brush it's a "B."
I rest my case.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-15-2017 @ 12:36 PM
  That's for a "B" generator, not all Fords a "B" generators. Some are "A" generators. The difference is if the field wire is connected to an insulated- "A", or non- insulated brush "B". Some Fords have "A" type generators, I've dealt with them over the years when I worked as a mechanic for a Ford dealer. What year were they? I don't honestly remember, but I worked for several different dealers in the 60's and 70's.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-15-2017 @ 5:07 PM
  That's the proceedure for a "B" type generator. Not all Fords had "B", some later
Fords had "A." type generators, and the polarizing proceedure is different. It depends upon the brushes, and whether it is insulated or not insulated. Early fords were type "B", with the field coil wire connected to a non insulated brush or ground.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 07-15-2017 @ 5:20 PM
  I worked as a professional in this field, and I re-polarized every generator or regulator that I ever serviced, after I put it back in service. I went to a prolonged automotive school, 1951 - 1955, and that was what was taught to prevent any problems with the generating system. Just taking the battery out does nothing. You take the battery out, and rebuild the generator or replace it, and because you took the battery out you don't have to polarize it? lots of luck with that one!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10969