Topic: Vapor lock

flathead48    -- 07-12-2017 @ 4:39 PM
  A friends stock 40 will sometimes cut out and back fire after a long drive at 50 Mph , than it smooths out and runs fine. Will vapor lock cause the back firing ? Thanks

sarahcecelia    -- 07-13-2017 @ 1:07 PM
  Doubtful

MG    -- 07-13-2017 @ 2:32 PM
  To me, the symptom you describe would be more related to a faulty condenser....

flathead48    -- 07-13-2017 @ 2:55 PM
  Thanks guys I felt the problem would be electrical sine vapor lock normally happens at slow speeds. Thanks for the replays.

len47merc    -- 07-13-2017 @ 3:05 PM
  flathead48 - enable private messaging when you've a moment.

Steve

flathead48    -- 07-13-2017 @ 6:29 PM
  Steve, my pm should be working according yo my preferences. If unable to contact my email is rblinc66@gmail.com thanks, Rick

flathead48    -- 07-13-2017 @ 6:36 PM
  Steve, my pm should be working according yo my preferences. If unable to contact my email is rblinc66@gmail.com thanks, Rick

Drbrown    -- 07-13-2017 @ 10:11 PM
  When I get vapor lock (rare) engine totally shuts down. Options: (1) Wait 5 or 10 minutes cool off - starts/runs fine .... or (2) turn on my Airtex auxiliary elec pump. My 59AB has a crab dizzy recently built by Charlie NY - no problem with that.

len47merc    -- 07-14-2017 @ 4:46 AM
  flathead48 - when did your friend's backfiring problem start? Has he been driving the car recently and this issue just showed up, or did some event take place (engine work of any kind, overheat, etc.) after which the backfiring showed itself? And how long (time and miles) has it been since any work was performed on the engine and what was that work if you or he can recall?

The Forum will gladly help with processes for the diagnosis and determination of root cause if you are interested - answers to the above questions will help, otherwise it's like throwing darts a bit blindfolded.

In general vacuum leaks and/or incorrect timing causes backfires.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-14-17 @ 5:04 AM

flathead48    -- 07-14-2017 @ 5:37 AM
  Steve, this car was totally restored and engine completely rebuil by a excellent shop he told me car never runs hot but on occasion when he is driving long distance at 50 mph or so it will cut out and backfire than clears up and runs fine, someone told him it was vapor lock I disagreed the car does not overheat at low speeds , in traffic and never stalls out. My expierence with vapor lock your car just quits always in traffic at slow speeds. Thanks to you for taking the time and to everyone who has responded , I will pass on these ideas to him. Regards, Rick

len47merc    -- 07-14-2017 @ 5:44 AM
  10-4. With that info, were it me I'd focus on a vacuum leak first and check all those connections. If it has exhibited that behavior since day 1 post restoration I'd first take it back to the restoration shop.

Steve

carcrazy    -- 07-14-2017 @ 7:05 AM
  Once had a problem where the engine would quit running after awhile. Cause turned out to be loose primary wire to the coil replacement adapter on the distributor.

TomO    -- 07-14-2017 @ 8:07 AM
  A worn ignition switch would act the same as the loose wire in Carcrazy's post.

To diagnose, connect an analog voltmeter (one with a needle as they react faster than a digital meter) to the input of the coil and vibrate the ignition switch by tapping on it with a screwdriver handle. If the voltmeter reading changes, the switch is bad and needs to be repaired. If the switch passes that test, try turning it on and off several times, if the voltage reading varies from one time to another, the switch should be repaired.

If the switch passes that test, try the vibration test on the resister connections under the dash.

Tom

autoluke    -- 07-18-2017 @ 9:05 AM
  After living with vapor lock in hot weather and slow speeds,I want to pursue all possibilities.
Need to replace the radiator with the newer aluminum units...any problem here ?
Note that I have a 6 blade fan 16" in diameter...Too small ?

need some input from the members, along with any suggestions to lower the temp.

Phil

wmsteed    -- 07-18-2017 @ 10:04 AM
  A bad coil will produce a condition where-as the engine appears to be running out of fuel. I had this happen on my '36 many years ago. Replaced the fuel pump twice before I figured out that the problem was related to low ignition voltage.
Many people don't know that there is a ballast resistor located on the passenger compartment side of the cowl which can also cause problems within the ignition system.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

autoluke    -- 07-18-2017 @ 12:44 PM
  Thanks Bill..I'll give it a try.

I note that several parts distributors offer only a "tall" type coil for 1941 V8.

Will this type of coil perform as well as the original cylindrical design ?

woodiewagon46    -- 07-18-2017 @ 12:54 PM
  While we are on the subject of vapor lock, the V-8 Club has approved electric fuel pumps for installation, with no point deduction in judging. I don't think vapor lock is the issue you are having.

supereal    -- 07-19-2017 @ 2:14 PM
  The common cause of backfiring is a vacuum leak to the intake system. Check all hoses for cracks or a loose fit on the hose bark. It can also be a leak under the cap of the retard plunger of the old style distributor, or a leaky intake manifold gasket A vacuum leak lets air into the system that allows unburnt fuel to ignite in the muffler of tailpipe, causing the backfire.

len47merc    -- 07-19-2017 @ 2:28 PM
  Thanks supereal for the endorsement. You know you're making it (EDIT - or might be!) to the big leagues when supereal agrees with you.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-19-17 @ 3:31 PM

autoluke    -- 07-20-2017 @ 8:08 AM
  Still dedicated to address all possibilities for the overheating condition.

Would the installation of a fan shroud be helpful ?

Also, what is the correct diameter for the '41 cooling Fan ?

len47merc    -- 07-20-2017 @ 8:33 AM
  autoluke - suggest you start a new discussion thread with the specifics of your condition and what you have done so far to correct it. This discussion thread of flathead48's is specific to vapor lock and you'll likely get more views and corresponding input if you post a new thread with a more specific Topic Title to your needs. Fwiw

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10964