Topic: Leaf Spring Lube

Greg Crawford    -- 07-12-2017 @ 12:30 PM
  Can anyone tell me what grease I should use to lube the leaf springs on a 1941 Ford Super Deluxe?
Thanks

This message was edited by Greg Crawford on 7-12-17 @ 12:46 PM

kubes40    -- 07-12-2017 @ 12:51 PM
  Is the spring disassembled? If so, most guys, myself included, recommend fifth wheel grease available at any farm supply store or large truck supply store.
If the spring is assembled, do NOT force grease through the fitting. The original lubricant was similar to the old STP Oil Treatment - a very gummy "oil". Grease will not flow out properly and eventually cause more issues than what you are attempting to avoid -precisely why Ford had a specific spring lubricant.
It's been brought to may attention, that grease "can" work and it's certainly better than nothing. I must agree.
The issue with "old" springs is the "old" lubricant had dried up and won't usually allow the new stuff to get where it is most needed - the ends of each leaf.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 7-12-17 @ 4:13 PM

mhsprecher    -- 07-12-2017 @ 1:48 PM
  I used Slip Plate, a graphite spray on the front springs on my 45 1/2 ton pickup, but I had the springs disassembled to do that. An easier job than a car, because I did not need to use a spring spreader to get the springs off or disassemble.

Greg Crawford    -- 07-13-2017 @ 8:01 AM
  My ford was restored and is in pristine condition. The leaf springs are assembled and have the fitting where the special spring lube is to be applied. I know grease is too thick to run between the leafs in the channels and I know oil is too thin to stay where it is needed. Is there any product available that has the correct viscosity to be used as was intended? I sure don't want to have to disassemble the springs.

This message was edited by Greg Crawford on 7-13-17 @ 8:02 AM

6lucky13    -- 07-13-2017 @ 8:18 AM
  John Deere Corn Head Grease has been recommended but I have yet to use it. I earlier had used chassis lube and hope the CHG will push the old grease out.

Kerry

Kerry

kubes40    -- 07-13-2017 @ 8:29 AM
  Greg,
I was quite sincere in an earlier post when I described the Ford lube as quite similar to the old STP Oil Treatment. Do you recall that stuff? Very, very thick & sticky oil.
If it's still available, I'd suggest that. It sure was terrible for engines but I'd think it would work well in the springs.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

carcrazy    -- 07-13-2017 @ 9:41 AM
  According to the "Green Bible" the Spring Lubricating Compound in a 5 pound can was once available under part no. 8A-19580-A (former part no. M 4628). Many years ago I was told that this compound was no longer available but a couple of the components of the lube compound were talc and asbestos.

kubes40    -- 07-13-2017 @ 11:25 AM
  I had purchased a full can (five gallons) at Hershey in the late 1970's. I was a lot younger then but still recall wondering what the heck I was thinking when I hauled it back to my truck - seemingly a million miles from where I bought it.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Greg Crawford    -- 07-14-2017 @ 7:35 AM
  It is and thanks!

wmsteed    -- 07-17-2017 @ 11:05 AM
  When I was in my teens I worked at about every service station in town, and one Ford Agency pumping gas and doing general lube work.
I can clearly remember that the majority of the better cars, including many EFV8's after '40 had covered springs.
To lube the springs we would locate the hole in the spring cover, about mid way from the ends, attach a special "C" shaped affair over the hole, we then put the lube gun onto the grease zerk and hit the trigger on the grease gun long enough for about four pumps by the air driven grease gun.
Of course the grease was just plain old every day chassis grease.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 07-18-2017 @ 12:22 PM
  Before you spend time and money lubing springs, it is usually time to remove and disassemble them. Springs tend to wear most in the area of where the tips contact the leaf below. There they form a pocket that prevents the leaf above from sliding as the spring assembly is flexed. These pockets can be reduced by carefully grinding the raised edge. Spring liner is sold by vendors such as C&G in 20 foot rolls. When in place, the spring clips must be replaced to accommodate the
increased thickness. Using a substance such as Slip Plate is usually a better idea than coating with grease, as it doesn't collect road dirt.

kubes40    -- 07-18-2017 @ 3:50 PM
  Super has offered you great advice indeed... the man knows his stuff!

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 07-19-2017 @ 2:04 PM
  Thanks, Mike. "The check is in the mail"!

kubes40    -- 07-19-2017 @ 2:56 PM
  Um, okay, I will wait patiently at the mail box.

Seriously? I have looked up to you as long as I have been reading your posts. You have no doubt forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 07-20-2017 @ 1:13 PM
  Coming from a master restorer, that is high praise, Mike. Having misspent my youth as a "shade tree" mechanic, I landed a job at the local Ford dealer when I was seventeen (I am now 82). As the insurance ad says "I know a thing or two, as I have seen a thing or two". I had good teachers, as the old hands at the garage were willing to share the tricks of the trade. Having made more than my share of mistakes, I try to give my friends here a tip or two along the way, knowing that many old Ford hobbyists need help. After all, that is what our Club is all about. If you don't have a vehicle that you can trust, you are being robbed of the great fun it can provide.

RAK402    -- 02-11-2021 @ 7:53 AM
  How would one get STP oil treatment into the spring (with a spring that is assembled and on the car)?

kubes40    -- 02-11-2021 @ 8:19 AM
  Grease gun...
Be forewarned, if the spring has not been apart and restored / cleaned, you are unlikely to get the lubricant where it needs to travel.
Even the numerous NOS springs I have used in my restorations were gummed up by the original lubricant having dried out years earlier.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 2-11-21 @ 10:18 AM

RAK402    -- 02-11-2021 @ 8:44 AM
  Thank you, Mike!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-12-2021 @ 6:32 AM

leaf spring grease,

GULF OIL CO, made a Graphite grease ,made special for leaf springs,
any grease is better then none,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10963