Topic: fuel pump

kirkstad    -- 07-12-2017 @ 10:34 AM
  the mechanical fuel pump for my 36 ford failed and I have ordered a new one compatible with the new fuels.If I install an electric fuel pump as a back up, do I have to bypass the mechanical pump or can I pump through it?

ken ct.    -- 07-12-2017 @ 11:05 AM
  Mistake #1 ordering a new repop pump. All come from China and you will get a replacement pump similar to a correct pump but not the same. I have the correct ones in stock as original restored pumps if you care to call me I will explain more. ken ct 1-203-260-9780 cell.Done in the USA.

fordv8j    -- 07-12-2017 @ 12:39 PM
  so true I put one on my 38 conv, worked for 10 minutes, ordered1 from ken no problems...put one on my 38 coupe it got me 8 miles from home and quit,gota ride home put the old one back on, still running

bigvince    -- 07-12-2017 @ 5:04 PM
  Hmmm...just ordered a new fuel pump, Airtex ATN571, for my 48 through Rock Auto, box says made in USA. Please set me straight before I bolt on something that came over on the Igitchi Maru. Has Airtex sold the brand to China?

len47merc    -- 07-12-2017 @ 5:11 PM
  Igitchi Maru - ? Really? Too much Discovery Channel for someone here...or maybe a Veteran?

EDIT - every electric pump I've seen installed on an EFV8, which I disagreed with the need for each time and state emphatically herein you do not need it if your fuel system is in proper operating condition, pumped through the mechanical fuel pump.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-12-17 @ 5:20 PM

ken ct.    -- 07-12-2017 @ 6:09 PM
  Vince,is that air-tex an electric one or mech. I don't believe in elec. pumps. As Steve said. Put a good rebuilt pump by me and you wont need an electric one. I only have a few left as I'm downsizing and running out of some yrs. I'm out of the rebuilding business. OMO. ken ct.

kirkstad    -- 07-13-2017 @ 6:40 AM
  I tried all the usual sources for a 36 pump, all were out off stock... macs,C&G,drake,carpenter etc.I wanted to rebuild mine but no kit available. MAC's shows a diaphragm tor a 33-48, but this not correct they told me it will only fit a model B 4 cyl. They told me the 32-34 kit, as the parts look the same,will not fit. I've had my 36 for 14 years now with never a problem.There is no wear only distorted diaphragm.I suppose this is why the early ford v8 judging, decided not to deduct points for electric pumps.

ken ct.    -- 07-13-2017 @ 7:36 AM
  I also have the correct super diaphrams attached to the correct metal stem for those pumps. From 34 to 53 all use the same diaphragm and stem. Getting $25 for them plus shipping of $8 . Some machine work is involved in me attaching diap. to stem. ken isidor 55 woodland park Shelton ct. 06484 or call.

TomO    -- 07-13-2017 @ 7:46 AM
  Here is a link to a source for rebuild kits.

http://www.then-now-auto.com/

I have never bought a kit from him, but others have said that his kits are good.

I believe that Airtex still makes its fuel pumps in Illinois and Indiana, neither of them are in China. The replacement fuel pumps will work on your 36 Ford, but are not Concourse correct. If you need a Concourse correct fuel pump, you will have to buy a rebuilt pump or have yours rebuilt.

I don't believe that you will need an electric fuel pump as back up. They add another failure point in the fuel system. But if you decide to add one, mount it near the tank and the one from C&G appears to be able to push the fuel through the mechanical pump

Tom

ken ct.    -- 07-13-2017 @ 8:03 AM
  Don't choke on "Then an Now's" prices hes expensive ken ct

MG    -- 07-13-2017 @ 2:50 PM
  For durability and peace of mind, Ken's (ken ct.) fuel pump and carb rebuild kits are are the best! - They're 'Bullet Proof'! Ask a man who knows....

This message was edited by MG on 7-13-17 @ 2:55 PM

Drbrown    -- 07-13-2017 @ 10:02 PM
  Have purchased a number of items from ken. Knows his stuff. All good.

kirkstad    -- 07-14-2017 @ 1:25 PM
  Thank you Tom. Yes I contacted Airtex and they do still make their pumps in the U.S.,but unable to help me.I have a pump coming from Dennis Carpenter,it is a later glass bowl pump and I may have to modify the fuel lines a little, but my 36 is a driver.
Frank

ken ct.    -- 07-14-2017 @ 2:55 PM
  Good luck with your D.C. China made pump OMO. ken ct. China has the worst rubber compounds on the planet.

len47merc    -- 07-14-2017 @ 4:14 PM
  C'mon Ken - let it go. There's no question about the quality of your parts.

Steve

ken ct.    -- 07-14-2017 @ 4:49 PM
  OH IM DONE WITH THIS GUY. KEN CT. WHY ASK FOR ADVICE AN DONT TAKE IT.

TomO    -- 07-15-2017 @ 7:27 AM
  Speedway Motors still shows the pump without the glass bowl on their website.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=Fuel+Pump&facet=GA_Brand%3aOffenhauser&HasInferredFacets=true&NoRedirect=true&OriginalQuery=offenhauser+Fuel+Pump

I have been running one, with the glass bowl, from them on my 40 Merc for a few years with no problems.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 07-15-2017 @ 7:56 AM
  Tom O/ If you look closely Speedways all metal pump the inlet and outlet are in a line with each other (not correct )for early or late 36 pumps.Also is blank where drain petcock should be or hex head screw should be on early 36 pump.That pump would get points off at any Ford National. Its a poor copy of the correct pump. Its not even correct for ANY ford.Owner says his engine is a 39 ,its not correct for that either. ken ct. I don't like people buying the wrong stuff thinking its correct when the correct stuff is available if you know where to get it and for roughtly the same price.

bigvince    -- 07-18-2017 @ 2:28 PM
  Mechanical pump-new, not rebuilt.

bigvince    -- 07-18-2017 @ 2:29 PM
  Mechanical pump-new, not rebuilt.

ken ct.    -- 07-18-2017 @ 3:24 PM
  The small time rebuilders rebuilt originals are superior to any new mechanical ones . ken ct.

drkbp    -- 07-22-2017 @ 6:00 AM
  Seems like the pumps are in short supply for some reason. The Airtex 571 has the fuel bowl and local O'Reilly's auto parts has them on the shelf. Advance AP also handles them. Airtex 591 is without a fuel bowl. Got one from C&G a couple of months ago. I decided to use a 591 because I am using a filter in front of the Stromberg and haven't been catching anything in the fuel bowl for several years. Fuel pumps have not been an issue for me in the last 40+ years of driving my '35 and changed this pump only because I rebuilt the carburetor. However, I did get the diaphragm kit. Nothing wrong with having a spare in the traveling tool kit.

bigvince    -- 07-23-2017 @ 12:37 PM
  That "thunder" coming from the Detroit area was the 59AB coming to life. No problems with the Airtex pump...in 90 degree weather.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10960