Topic: Attached Chatter Tie Rods

len47merc    -- 07-09-2017 @ 10:52 AM
  The attachment shows some NOS/unused tie rods I was given some time back - I have no use for them. One is labeled as you can see in the pic (I'll attach another close-up photo of the label) - the other is not, so for that one I am unsure of the application. Please have a look and advise what the unlabeled item is for, and please pm me if you have any interest in using them. They are both just idling away in my attic at present.

Thanks in advance -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-9-17 @ 10:56 AM

len47merc    -- 07-09-2017 @ 10:53 AM
  Here is a close-up pic of the one label.

Steve

42wagon    -- 07-09-2017 @ 11:34 AM
  Steve
Ah the clutch anti-chatter tie rod, AKA the slingshot. I have an earlier version on my 42 Ford. Not that it does any good. Certainly not a Ford authorized accessory. I'm surprised they were still peddling these in 1950 as the after 48 cars had a different drive train that should have corrected the problem.
Ted

flatheadfan    -- 07-09-2017 @ 1:20 PM
  Steve-

I have a set of these rods (#577)and frankly, I couldn't fit them on a '36. The wishbone cap wouldn't allow for the rod to be installed. The idea sounds nice but I couldn't get it to work without resorting to a lot of exotic engineering. Not worth the time.

Tom

len47merc    -- 07-09-2017 @ 2:40 PM
  Thanks Ted & Tom. Know from the box the larger set is intended for '49 & '50s Fords, it's the straight rod that has me a bit perplexed as to what year(s) and model(s) it is intended for. Those are the original boxes - hate to throw these things away but ultimately may need to be done. Have yet to hear one solid endorsement for the effectiveness of anti chatter rods, yet have heard dozens upon dozens of comments on their lack of effectiveness/total ineffectiveness, hence realizing value from these is not in the equation here at all. Several examples of the '49 - '50 model are on eBay now (painted) for ~$30 to $50 for sets that may likely have been on there for months/years.

My thinking is that the straight rod on the right is not for Fords - possibly (dare I say the word) Chevys. Clearly the one marked '49 - '50 Fords is for that. (EDIT - I just now found after posting this reply an identical rod on eBay with the label still on the box - #578 for '37-'49 Chevrolets, so file 13 on that one for us Ford lovers)

Not looking to sell - just to get them in the hands of a fellow member that can/will use them. Reach out if'n you wanna try 'em '49 & '50 owners. A minor dust-off with fine sandpaper/emory cloth and a coat of gloss, ahhh, satin, ummm, semi-gloss black paint...

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-9-17 @ 2:46 PM

Drbrown    -- 07-10-2017 @ 10:21 PM
  Ford discontinued factory installing anti-chatter rods prior to my '47 but someone added them to it later. Mine are a pair of separate straight 3/8" rods with bent loop-ends for bolting to each side of the bell housing. The rods run forward at a slight angle to where they are bolted to the frame (no bushings). This set-up could be home-made.

Do they work ? Don't know - never had them removed - never had clutch problems - never had to replace the clutch. There was a recent thread on the Barn forum about clutch chatter problems and the use of anti-chatter rods in pre-1949 cars.

42wagon    -- 07-11-2017 @ 8:42 AM
  Just looked it up in the 39-48 Ford Service manual. It would appear that Ford dropped the engine radius rods at the end of the 41 model year although some 42s may still have had them. The manual advises that if tightening all the connections does not correct the chatter problem a kit C21A-6044-S is available. This consists of two forged rods to connect between the bell housing and the front cross member and appropriate attaching hardware. All of the parts have 11A numbers. This kit looks so well engineered it is a mystery why anyone would purchase the kits that are shown on this thread.

len47merc    -- 07-11-2017 @ 8:53 AM
  I agree with you 42wagon. That's why if any EFV8 member wants them they can have them for the price of admission (postage). Hate to throw anything away but may have to in the end.

Steve

supereal    -- 07-11-2017 @ 12:10 PM
  There were lots of "cures" for clutch shudder in early Fords I have a diagram of an engine brace sold to keep the engine from being pushed ahead by the torque tube. Like others, such as the rods, it wasn't effective. The theory was that as the rear axle pushed the engine, it also shifted the clutch linkage, magnifying problem. The torque tube design was first used in the Model T, and as Old Henry usually did, was to be resistant to change. The shudder was with us until 1949 when Henry II decreed that the "new Ford" would have the Hotchkiss system with parallel springs. For those of us with old Fords, we had to learn to coexist with the shudder.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10953