Topic: 1947 Coupe - spare mount

randyjohnson1    -- 07-07-2017 @ 7:46 AM
  Hi,
I have a bracket for mounting the spare wheel upright in the back of my trunk of my 47 Ford sedan coupe. Does the stud on the bracket just go thru a lug hole in the wheel, or is there a part I'm missing. It's difficult to get the stud to line up with a lug hole and it looks odd.
Thanks!

len47merc    -- 07-07-2017 @ 8:15 AM
  Hi Randy - could you post a pic of what you've got? Picture would be very helpful - thanks

Steve

42wagon    -- 07-07-2017 @ 8:52 AM
  Randy
Are you using 16" wheels or did you change to 15 "?

kubes40    -- 07-07-2017 @ 8:54 AM
  Randy,
While it may look odd, that's the way it is. Picture attached is of a well preserved (unrestored) '47 coupe of mine that should show you how it was installed.
The outside diameter of the tire will make a difference in how it "sits" in your trunk. This tire is a 6:50 x 16", about 1 1/2" taller than the typical 6:00.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

randyjohnson1    -- 07-07-2017 @ 8:59 AM
  Thanks Kube! And I'm still using the bias ply 16 in wheel. I saw a special NOS "nut" on ebay that was for mounting the spare for mercs and fords of these years. It's a lug nut that is capped with a groove around the side. Is that legit?

len47merc    -- 07-07-2017 @ 9:54 AM
  Randy - does the picture Mike posted match your car? You indicated you had a 'Sedan Coupe' (i.e., 2 door sedan). Bottom line - does your spare mount in the center or on the side as shown in Mike's photo? And Mike/others - would this make a difference of significance?

Steve

42wagon    -- 07-07-2017 @ 12:42 PM
  Steve there is a difference between a Sedan Coupe 79A-72B and a Tudor Sedan 79-70A or B
The Sedan Coupe looks like a coupe except it has a back seat. Not the same shape body as a Tudor Sedan. Whether that affects the spare tire location I cannot say.

len47merc    -- 07-07-2017 @ 2:42 PM
  Thanks 42wagon - normally I'd do some research before posting a question like this but I was in a hurry today. I've heard 2 door 'sedans' (full back seat) referred to, apparently erroneously, and surpisingly at Gettysburg last year, as 'sedan coupes'. Thanks for responding.

Steve

randyjohnson1    -- 07-07-2017 @ 3:29 PM
  Yeah, the spare is off to the side in mine too. Any thoughts on the odd lug nut that was on ebay I described above?

42wagon    -- 07-07-2017 @ 3:50 PM
  Randy
I don't have a picture of the lugnut in question however such a nut was supplied with Model As for securing the outside mounted spare tire. The groove was for the plunger on a tire lock. Don't know why a nut with a groove for a lock would be required on a car with the spare in a locking trunk.

randyjohnson1    -- 07-07-2017 @ 3:56 PM
  I thought it was odd.

kubes40    -- 07-07-2017 @ 4:00 PM
  There's still a number of folks that claim a spare tire lock was standard equipment on passenger cars. And, at a time they were - on certain years. Why I have no clue but they were. From my research that stopped (standard equipment) in 1939.

I have found ONE - only ONE document that even suggested this lock continued in to 1940. That was w wholesale price sheet from ONE assembly plant. It was a very early price sheet (August, 1939) and it appeared to have been a simple mistake as if it was copied from the '39 equipment list. Later price sheets were corrected and that lock was not listed any longer.

That grooved nut continued to be installed at least through '42. I can't say for certain how much longer after that.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Drbrown    -- 07-07-2017 @ 8:01 PM
  I have a '47 sedan (long door) coupe with full back seat. Spare tire is located upright on far-passenger side of trunk. It has a black vinyl cover which I've never have removed so don't know how it held in-place (can do if you wish).

randyjohnson1    -- 07-08-2017 @ 4:33 AM
  That would be great! Thanks

1940 Tom    -- 07-08-2017 @ 7:21 AM
  Good Morning, Randy--
See attached photos of the trunk of my 1940 Sedan. The pictures may be a complete waste of time, as far a your situation goes. But I think the close up will show the nut that holds the spare tire in place, which you have inquired about.
At 1st glance, it looks like there are 2, similar-sized nuts that attach separately. I assure you that the nut is one piece and does have the "groove" in the middle, as you know.
I hope the photos clarify things for you.
Good luck on your restoration.
Tom

trjford8    -- 07-08-2017 @ 7:33 AM
  I had two '40 sedans and both used that same nut to hold the spare. As with most things Ford I suspect the assembly plants used those nuts until the supply ran out.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10941