Topic: Desludging

Bill E Bob    -- 07-06-2017 @ 3:34 PM
  Any tried and true methods for desludging an oil pan without removal. Just want to clean up a bit before fresh oil and start up. If not, can the oil pan be removed without removing the engine? Oh! A 1947 4dr sedan with the 59AB engine.

len47merc    -- 07-06-2017 @ 5:11 PM
  I've had the oil pan off of my 47 four door 59 AB three times without removing the motor so the answer's yes it can be done with patience and a lot of jacking up of the car dropping the car rotating the wheels Etc. Yes it can be done.

IMHO - don't even think about trying to clean it out without removing it. Go ahead and invest the time to remove the pan clean it clean the oil pickup screen and remove the oil pump and clean it out as well while you've got it all apart. Best way to go to get it done right and for peace of mind.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-6-17 @ 5:12 PM

Bill E Bob    -- 07-07-2017 @ 10:04 AM
  Will take Steve's sage advice and drop the oil pan, which BTW, begs another question.
Open to suggestions for sources of good gaskets required for the procedure. Oil pan, oil pump(?)
sump(?) This is a 59AB engine and I'm new to flatheads.
Also, how much oil is required WITH a new filter?
THANKS LARGE
Bill

This message was edited by Bill E Bob on 7-7-17 @ 10:05 AM

Bill E Bob    -- 07-07-2017 @ 5:28 PM
  There is a pan covering the lower part of the flywheel that overlaps the oil pan, is this pan through bolted at the lower half of the transmission/engine interface or does it just look that way? I see where it is bolted (along with the oil pan) to the block. Are these all that are holding it on?

This message was edited by Bill E Bob on 7-7-17 @ 5:34 PM

len47merc    -- 07-07-2017 @ 6:46 PM
  5 quarts with an oil filter change Bill.

Steve

TomO    -- 07-08-2017 @ 8:28 AM
  The pan covering the lower part of the flywheel is part of the oil pan and is welded to the sump.

Tom

Bill E Bob    -- 07-08-2017 @ 12:17 PM
  THANKS LARGE Steve and Tom.
I assume then, that the lower transmission mounting bolts must be removed in order to remove the oil pan/sump/flywheel cover.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10937