Topic: wire contact pins

1937sedandelivery    -- 07-05-2017 @ 1:10 PM
  Hello,
I want to fabricate my own rear tail lamp wiring harness. In the attached picture you can see the two wires that are crimped into what I call the wiring pins, maybe there is a better name for them. I experimented on one of them and broke off all the wires, then tried to pry open the crimp but not much luck. My thinking is to solder new cloth covered wire to the pins, but just can't get the pins to open up.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find some of these pins that have not been crimped?

nelsb01    -- 07-05-2017 @ 2:31 PM
  Try hollow ended rivets.
There are some small ones out there. And, if the connection end is too flat, add some solder on to it.

Hope this helps.

1937sedandelivery    -- 07-05-2017 @ 3:00 PM
  Very interesting, I happen to have some small rivets from a headlamp bucket rebuild kit for a 37. I will give it a try and report back.
Thanks!!
gregg

carcrazy    -- 07-05-2017 @ 3:52 PM
  You can also purchase new taillight wiring sockets or socket repair kits from MAC's Auto Parts.

1937sedandelivery    -- 07-05-2017 @ 4:11 PM
  I bought a couple wiring kits from Drakes and they are terrible, cheap Chinese vinyl coated junk, very disappointing. Haven't looked at Mac's.
Thanks,
Gregg

woodiewagon46    -- 07-05-2017 @ 5:49 PM
  I can't tell you where to purchase new pins but I can tell you what I did. First I filed the pins flush and then grabbed the pin with a needle nose vise grips. I then started with a small drill and worked my way up to a size that the wire would fit into and then soldered it. Take your time because the drill will tend to bind, but it will eventually cut thru the crimped wire and part of the crimp itself.

woodiewagon46    -- 07-05-2017 @ 5:58 PM
  I just had another thought. There is a company called Rhode Island Wiring. They might have what you need.

1937sedandelivery    -- 07-05-2017 @ 10:10 PM
  I looked at using a rivet, but the one I have is slightly too large (the head) and would have to carefully grind it down to prevent shorting to the adjacent pin.
So, I went back to trying to use the original contact pin and it worked out pretty good. I sacrificed a punch and ground it down to fit snuggly in the pin. Then punched the pin until it opened up some. Also ended up mashing the crimped wire remnants. Cleaned those out as well as possible and it left enough room to solder in a new wire. All in all, the pin reuse worked out well. See attached picture.
Gregg

flatheadfan    -- 07-06-2017 @ 1:05 AM
  I have used pop rivet ends with no problems for years.

Tom

TomO    -- 07-06-2017 @ 6:19 AM
  Rhode Island wiring does indeed sell tail light bucket wires for the 1937 Sedan Delivery.

Tom

1937sedandelivery    -- 07-09-2017 @ 12:48 AM
  Thanks Tom.
I have never used Rhode Island wiring but will look them up. My plans are to restore as much wiring as possible. I have purchased some NOS wiring assemblies on EBAY and it has worked out pretty good so far.
gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10933