Topic: 40 bussiness/ 40 5window

thunder road    -- 07-04-2017 @ 10:48 AM
  I was just checking the NADA classic car values, and they have the 1940 "5 window coupe" valued at $6,000 more than the 1940 Business coupe. Why is that ? Also on page 139 of the book, Illustrated history of ford by George H. Dammann says: For "1940", One more car (11) was added to the list via the addition of "business coupe" models to both the Standard, and Deluxe lines. I do not believe that they made 1939 ford business coupes. Lastly is the split front bench seat the same in 1939 and 1940, and is this the same seat that went into the two door sedans in 1939 and 1940, less foot rests?

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 7-4-17 @ 10:58 AM

kubes40    -- 07-04-2017 @ 11:20 AM
  Domenic,

I am not certain how the value guide supports its estimates of value but from much personal experience, I can only suggest it is too often not based on actual current sold prices.
Why they have the Coupe valued $6000 higher than the Business Coupe I do not know. From my experience, they have nearly the same value all things (quality) being equal. The Business Coupe is a bit more rare than the Coupe but typically not as desirable. So, the economic principal of supply and demand seems to balance out the values of the two distinctive models.

The Deluxe models tend to bring a bit more than the Ford V8 models, again, quality being equal.

There have been those that insist Ford domestically produced Business Coupes in 1939. There is no documentation to support that claim.

The seat from a Tudor can be fit to a Business Coupe and to the untrained eye, will appear correct.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road    -- 07-04-2017 @ 11:30 AM
  Mike, Untrained eye means that their is a difference, what is the difference between the two door sedan seat, and the coupe seat? Were 1939 and 1940 Split bench seats the same ? Also on another note their is an original 1940 ford ad on the computer right now , and they call the 1940 ford coupe, a coupe "A". They actually have a woman sitting on one of the auxiliary seats found in the back of a business coupe. I think the women were smaller back then. Happy 4th of July! Domenic

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 7-4-17 @ 2:03 PM

trjford8    -- 07-04-2017 @ 5:58 PM
  The '39 and '40 split back seats are different. They are upholstered entirely different. The 39 seat has the springs as a separate unit from the frame. The springs are upholstered separately from the frame(backrest) and then attached to the backrest which is a solid unit. The 40 seat has the springs attached to the frame as one unit and the backrest is upholstered as one unit. The '39 seat will fit in a '40 and vice versa but they are definitely different. There's also a difference in the seat adjusting levers.

thunder road    -- 07-05-2017 @ 4:31 AM
  Thanks to both you guys. You never stop learning. The split bench seat in my first 1940 ford coupe a "business coupe " seemed to have the seat adjusting handle nickel plated? If this was so , I believe it was for durability. Anybody have pictures of the 39 and the 40 seat adjusting handles .If someone had a 1939 split bench seat, and took it to Lebaron Bonney and told them to attach the springs to the frame and upholster it just like a 1940, decide weather you wanted the striped broadcloth, or the mohair and lastly had a 1940 adjusting handle, would it then be the same? Domenic

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 7-5-17 @ 4:43 AM

42guy    -- 07-05-2017 @ 6:33 PM
  My 42 5 widow has a solid or one piece back on the front seat. It has 2 pins at the top that are removed and the back folds down. It has the package tray that extends to the rear of the interior. I was led to understand that Ford did not call them business coupes.

42wagon    -- 07-06-2017 @ 10:59 AM
  I just looked at the V-8 Album which may not be the ultimate source.

However in 1939 there was only a Standard Coupe 91-77A and a Deluxe Coupe 91-77B .

In 1940 the business coupe was added to the line so there was a Standard Coupe 01A-77A a Deluxe Coupe 01A-77B, a Standard Business coupe 01A-67A, and a Deluxe Business coupe 01A-67B.

In 1941 it gets more complicated. There were Deluxe Coupes 11A-77A, Super Deluxe Coupes 11A-77B, and Special Coupes 11A-77C. Then there were coupes with jump seats that appear to replace the Business Coupes of 1940. There were Deluxe Coupe w/Jump Seats 11A-67A and Super Deluxe Coupe w/Jumps Seats 11A-67B. Finally a Super Deluxe Sedan Coupe 11A-72 was added.

In 1942 it appears that the Coupe w/Jump Seats was dropped from the line. There were Special Coupes 21A-77C, Deluxe Coupes 21A-77A and Super Deluxe Coupes 21A-77B. Then there were the Deluxe Sedan Coupe 21A-72A and the Super Deluxe Sedan Coupe 21A-72B

So 42 Guy is correct. There were no Business Coupes or Coupes with jump seats listed for 1942.

trjford8    -- 07-07-2017 @ 1:38 PM
  thunder road, even after the '39 seat was upholstered like a '40 it still would not look like a '40 seat. There's nothing wrong with using a '39 seat in a '40 as long as you do not anticipate showing the car for points at an Early Ford V-8 meet.

thunder road    -- 07-07-2017 @ 6:55 PM
  Trjford8 thanks for taking the time to clarify my madness, on the 39-40 split bench seat. Now I'm going to be sure to take good detailed pictures of both the 39 and the 40 split bench seat whenever I 'm at a big show like Hershey . This way when, and "if" I go to purchase a 1940 split bench seat I'll know what to look for. I'm hoping the rear footrests are removable and are the only difference when the seat comes out of a 1940 two door sedan, as compared to a 1940 business coupe, as this doubles the amount of available 1940 split bench seats out their that would work. I own a pair of 01A-1940 auxiliary jump seat , opera seats . I have looked in the back of my 1940 "5 window coupe" and the floor is appox. 23 inches from the side of the driveshaft hump to the side, and 20 inches to the coupe seat when it's adjusted about midway . The jump seats would fit,and if I mounted them to a separate piece of 3\4 plywood and placed it under the carpet, I would not have to drill any holes in the cars floor pan, or alter the car in any permanent way. Also I believe the spilt bench seat has a narrower base width, than the coupe seat that's in their now , which may add some more room. I am not thinking about putting people back their , I just think the business coupe interior is more interesting. If I did this I would save the original coupe seat with the car,and it could always be put back to the rear shelf configuration. The car has the original interior in it now and could use to be freshened up. I know all the purists are going to be mad, but at least i'm not thinking about putting Craiger's on it .Also I may decide to just order and install a new rear shelf , from LeBarron Bonnie and call it a day. Domenic

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 7-8-17 @ 5:07 AM

trjford8    -- 07-08-2017 @ 7:47 AM
  The footrests from the tudor seat can easily be removed, so you now have a larger pool of seats to choose from.

kubes40    -- 07-08-2017 @ 10:50 AM
  Domenic,
I vote for returning your car to stock as nearly as possible. To change a coupe in to a business coupe properly requires a lot more effort than simply installing the small auxiliary seats in the rear and replacing the front seat.
The biggest hurdles are the huge differences in the floor pans and interior bracing between the two models.
In my humble opinion you will devalue the car by attempting such a modification unless you "go all the way" and address all of the necessary issues associated with such a transformation.

By the way, a proper front seat for a business coupe, lake a convertible seat, has a small wooden partition on each side of the drive shaft tunnel. Another tell tale item that is distinctive of the proper business coupe seat.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road    -- 07-08-2017 @ 11:54 AM
  Hey trjford8, thank you for all the information I really appreciate it. Same goes to Mike and Tom. Domenic

Domenic

thunder road    -- 07-08-2017 @ 11:57 AM

Mike you are right ,I would never go all out and touch the original never rusted floor pan in this coupe. I have to order a new rear shelf board from Lebarron Bonnie, and this will make a big difference. The original board is sun cracked and faded . Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 7-8-17 @ 12:11 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10929