Topic: 40 ford top iron springs

Mace    -- 07-03-2017 @ 5:28 PM
  can somebody explain how they attached and where they go

wmsteed    -- 07-04-2017 @ 8:56 AM
  If you are referring to the garage door type of spring that helps lift the vacuum top on a '40 Ford the springs, one on each side attach to the long arm on the top assembly and the floor pan of the vehicle.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 07-04-2017 @ 11:11 AM
  Mace, I have attached a photo of the proper installation of the left spring. Of course, the right side is a mirror installation of the left. Note there are three holes in the bracket at the rear attachment point. This is to allow for a bit of adjustment that may be necessary.

In the future, please address your '40 questions to the '40 (dedicated) forum for a quicker response. I check that form daily - this one only on occasion.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 07-04-2017 @ 2:56 PM
  There should be a tab on the floor for one end of the spring, and a short tab on the top frame for the other end. for the counterweight spring When I started work on my '47 over 20 years ago, there were no springs, cylinders or other essential parts. I got cylinders and pump from Hydro Electric, and the springs from Don Baxter in Kansas, who had a batch made. I designed and built the top control. The whole project was a multi year treasure hunt, but the result was worth it.

Mace    -- 07-04-2017 @ 3:40 PM
  Thank you Mike. I'm 78 completely handicapped and my 72 year old wife with doing the work. I took the car apart in 1996 when I bought her a 56 thunderbird and of course it took 1st place in being refurbished. I appreciate your help. Thank you again and I'm sure I will have many more questions before my project is completed.

kubes40    -- 07-04-2017 @ 6:17 PM
  Mace,
Please do not be confused by the conflicting responses you've seen thus far. You may rest assured that the photo I'd attached in my earlier response is correct and proper for your '40.
Supereal is answering based on his '47 which apparently is quite a different set-up than a '40. And with all due respect, Wmsteed is well, wrong... sorry Bill.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

wmsteed    -- 07-05-2017 @ 9:11 AM
  I like "Super" based my response to a non '40 Ford, I have a Briggs bodied conv coupe which has the assist spring being attached to the floor of the vehicle.
I like "Super" found myself working on a car where information and replacement parts were few and far between. It took me sixteen years to restore the car. I had to make and/or have made the majority of the parts needed to restore the top assembly.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 07-05-2017 @ 12:13 PM
  Bill,
To clarify - all 1940 Ford convertible bodies were built by Ford. The springs were attached as I'd shown clearly in my previously posted photograph.
Supereal is referring to his '47 convertible and stated such within his post. While he is and always has been a GREAT help to fellow club members, his answer by nature could only provide a hint as to how a '40 may have been built.
Your initial response led me to believe you had a '40 convertible and were answering based on that personal experience. With your latest response it now seems clear your answer was based on another year / model entirely.
In my opinion, I feel it important to clarify within any answer that is provided if it does not directly apply to the make, model and year of the original question. To do otherwise can and often does add to the confusion a person seeking clarity may have.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

wmsteed    -- 07-07-2017 @ 10:26 AM
  I like the statement that "Supereal" made years ago on the EFV8 Forum when he said "One should never use the term "always and never" when referring to old cars"..
My experience with old cars is not limited to the Ford line, I have had and/or worked on many GM, Chrysler, Studebaker, etc vehicles from 1931 through '67. During my experiences with the various vehicles, be they Ford, Chevy and/or Mopar I have found many body parts that were the same.
The '40 Ford conv's were the only year that Ford used vacuum tops, where as Mopar started using the vacuum system in '39 through '42.
Many years ago I had a '40 Ford, then switched to a '41 Ford conv, the '41 was a whole different game because of it's electric screw jack top..
I know, I'm preaching to the choir...

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kubes40    -- 07-07-2017 @ 12:10 PM
  However Bill, there are times like this one, when one can say with absolute certainty that ALL '40 Ford convertible bodies were built by Ford.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

supereal    -- 07-09-2017 @ 12:17 PM
  As my friends, Bill and Mike (kube) pointed out, my response did, indeed, pertain to the later hydraulic top, not the vacuum system on the 1940 Ford. There is a good drawing in Bulletin 50600, dated May 7, 1940. It shows the counter balance spring connected between a point on the top frame and a tab well behind the
doors. There are two pages with service details. If anyone wants a copy, leave a message on this site. The vacuum system was used only for 1940, I believe, because it was slow and prone to other problems, but no less so for the later electric screw design which was added the next year.

This message was edited by supereal on 7-9-17 @ 12:20 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 07-12-2017 @ 2:17 PM
  This belongs in "The New 1940 Ford Book!!" Not in the General Discussion.

21JIMMIE    -- 08-05-2017 @ 12:31 PM
  I Need Information On Installing 1940 Ford Conv Top Iron Springs. Superreal Stated He Will Send A Copy Of Bulletin 50600 Dated May, 7 1940 If Requested .Please reply Very Soon. Thanks In Advance For The Information.
8-5-17 HAVE A GOOD DAY 21jimmie 276 694 3981

kubes40    -- 08-06-2017 @ 7:22 AM
  21JIMMIE,
In the third post, I'd included a photo of a properly installed spring. I am confident that is quite sufficient - in fact probably more so than an illustration.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

wmsteed    -- 08-07-2017 @ 10:17 AM
  Well now! I feel I must set the record straight on the subject of the placement of the top iron springs on a '40 Ford.
While responding to another question regarding convertible tops I came upon a Ford Motor Parts List, (page 13 ?) convertible tops for Model 01A66 ('40) Copy attached. That I had forgotten I had.
The detailed drawing, (which does not have a publish date) clearly shows the top iron arms extending to the rear of the vacuum cylinders in lieu of being up adjacent to and extending parallel
to the belt line as shown in "Kubes" photo.
The detailed drawing that I have attached clearly suggests that there are in fact two different 01A '40 Ford top assembly's, possibly early and late..
Since the assembly shown in the drawing is very similar to the one in my '39 conv, one could assume that it is an early version, or maybe Ford was in fact using two different systems in the '40 Ford.
It could also be assumed that since the vacuum operated tops were not very reliable, (Ford went to an electric top assembly in 1941), which resulted in modifications to the early '40 system, bringing the system more in line with the industry standards in practice at the time..
Think about my earlier comment, that the spring loaded top iron return assist shown in the Ford Motor drawing, and the system in my '39 conv. coupe is very similar to the return assist arms and springs used on mechanical garage doors.
I guess I'll have to ask the question, "Kobe", do you have, or have you ever seen a Ford Motor Parts List drawing showing the assist arm/spring (s) being short and up adjacent to the belt line?

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 8-7-17 @ 10:21 AM

kubes40    -- 08-07-2017 @ 10:57 AM
  Hi ya Bill,
I'd learned early on in my hobby / career that parts books are not a reliable source for "correctness". These books were written to be consumed by parts counter personal and then only in a reference type way. They (illustrations) were never intended to be an exact replication of the vehicle. Rather, the illustrations were intended to be an aid to the parts counter personal to locate the proper replacement part.
While researching for my book, it has become quite clear that the parts books are not a good resource for the aforementioned reasons.
Now, as for your theory of two designs of top assemblies in 1940.... a decent theory perhaps. However, in reality there was but one design utilized through the entire production run.
This is bore by engineering drawing(s) and releases.
It may also be worth noting that the springs are not depicted in the illustration.
While I tend to agree that vacuum tops were not very efficient, they did in fact work and were a well received feature. They'd certainly operated well enough to not warrant a mid-production design change.
By the way, your earlier post, at least to me, read as if your '39 FORD had a vacuum assisted top. Did I read that correctly?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10924