Topic: Jump starting a 6-volt Ford

BUCKAWHO    -- 07-02-2017 @ 4:13 PM
  Hi....I'm wondering what problems might develop while trying to jump-start a 6 volt Ford with a 12 volt car. Or should it be tried at all? My car's battery seemed to be on the verge of dying at a public park today, and all around were newer 12 volt autos. Mine did start finally, but the possibility worried me. Thanks. BT

carcrazy    -- 07-02-2017 @ 5:15 PM
  You can jump start your 6V car with a 12V car provided you take the following precautions:
Make sure the cars are not touching each other.
Connect the + jumper cable from the 12V car to a good ground location on the 6V vehicle (an engine head bolt or stud will work).
Connect the - jumper cable from the 12V car to the - terminal of your 6V battery.
Make sure all electrical accessories of the 6V car are turned off before connecting the jumper cables.
Turn on the ignition switch and immediately start the 6V car and remove the jumper cables.

MG    -- 07-02-2017 @ 5:36 PM
  It's not a problem if you connect the 12 volt battery directly to the starter motor as opposed to the 6 volt battery terminals. With the transmission in neutral, the procedure is to turn the ignition switch ON without engaging the starter button and then connect the 12 volts to the starter motor only - not to the 6 volt battery. This will work provided your 6 volt battery has enough juice left in it to power your ignition circuit. Again, no need to engage the 6 volt starter button/switch. Just turn the ignition circuit ON and then apply the 12 volts directly to the starter motor.

This message was edited by MG on 7-2-17 @ 5:38 PM

juergen    -- 07-03-2017 @ 7:08 AM
  And just to add (perhaps obviously) to MG's "directly to the starter motor", you can use the post of the starter solenoid connected directly to the starter motor for this purpose.

TomO    -- 07-03-2017 @ 9:43 AM
  Carcrazy, your method could cause the battery to explode. The only safe way to do it is the one that MG stated.

You can also just push start it

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-3-17 @ 9:52 AM

46coupe    -- 07-03-2017 @ 10:26 AM
  I set my 6 volt up with a negative ground. Can I then just hook up the 12v/6v pos to pos and neg to neg?

Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10922