Topic: Quick Startin Question

Dream38v8    -- 07-01-2017 @ 4:32 AM
  I had my '38 Fordor on a battery trickle charger all winter. It started and has run great the last two month. I drove it last about two weeks ago. Again it has been on a trickle charger. The battery is 10-11 months old. When I went to start it yesterday. Nothing just the started soleniod click! The starter soleniod is also new and working. Any ideas? Battery? Starter? Short?

Ray

carcrazy    -- 07-01-2017 @ 2:49 PM
  The first thing to do is check all of the wiring connections in the starting circuit. Make sure each of the battery terminal connections are clean and tight, do the same for the battery to starter wire at the starter motor, make sure the electrical continuity between the starter motor housing and the battery ground is good.

fordv8j    -- 07-01-2017 @ 6:09 PM
  I had a schumaker battery tender on my 38 conv, it didn't shut off, boiled my ford script battery dry, added new acid and charged, never would start the car,,,,hope that is not your case

Dream38v8    -- 07-02-2017 @ 12:42 PM
  Thanks Carcrazy. I will be having the battery tested tomorrow while I check all the connections as you mentioned. The terminal are all clean with the connections tight.

Ray

TomO    -- 07-03-2017 @ 10:09 AM
  Sometimes high humidity can cause corrosion between the battery pot and cable. Check the voltage at the battery posts. It should be about 6.5V and should not drop below 5.5V when the starter is engaged.

Also try to turn your engine over by the crank nut. Your starter could have the engine locked. If this is the case, put the car in 3rd gear and try to push it backwards. When the starter releases, you will hear a bang. If this fixes it, come back for advice to prevent it from happening again.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-03-2017 @ 12:34 PM
  I use the "Battery Tender" charger on my '47 and my tractor. They are switchable between 6 and 12 volts, and show when they are charging, or if you have incorrectly connected it. It indicates a full charge, and goes automatically to trickle charge. To check for a "parasitic" load, remove one cable from the battery and put a voltmeter between the battery post and the cable.. Any reading shows a drain on the battery. The master switch on my car disconnects the battery from the car. At my advanced age it is possible to leave something on accidentally. You only have to "cook" one coil to see the right charger is cheap insurance! The Battery Tender is widely available for about $40. I got mine at Costco.

Dream38v8    -- 07-05-2017 @ 11:22 AM
  Well it turns out the problem was the battery. I also will checkout the charger. I am contemplating getting a Optima battery. Any positive comments.

Ray

Robert/Texas    -- 07-05-2017 @ 12:45 PM
  I have 6-volt Optima batteries in 2 Model A's 1 Model T and a 12-volt Optima in my '34 roadster. the 6-volt batteries seem to crank the engines a little faster and they are lighter than the normal group 1 batteries. Best of all they seem too last much longer and hold charges longer without using trickle chargers. The problem is that they are really ugly and a bit expensive.

TomO    -- 07-06-2017 @ 6:29 AM
  I have been getting about 8 years from the Optima in my 1940. The one in my Lincoln died after 5 years, but I had a short that was draining the battery and finally killed it.

A trickle charger can damage a battery by overcharging it. If you would like to use one over the winter put it on a 7 day timer and allow it to charge for 2 hours a week.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-6-17 @ 6:31 AM

cliftford    -- 07-06-2017 @ 7:00 AM
  Robert/Texas is exactly right. Optimas are far and away better than anything else available. And as he says, you shouldn't need a charger/maintainer. I leave mine in my cars through the winter and they always stay charged.

supereal    -- 07-06-2017 @ 12:43 PM
  I have used Optima's for many years. They lasted at least seven years, and would still start after months of sitting. We constructed a wooden box to accommodate both the battery tray and hold down. The battery sits cross from corner to corner in the box with the posts out of the top. Painted black, with three caps on the top, very few have noticed it. Be sure to include a vent on the back side of the box to allow any gasses to escape.

Dream38v8    -- 07-13-2017 @ 8:58 AM
  Turns out it was the battery, but a short drained the battery. The Optima is great, but I can not locate the short. I have narrowed it down to the cutoff I believe. As the car is running the cutoff voltage is jumping up to +18v or more. Is this the issue?

Ray

TomO    -- 07-13-2017 @ 9:34 AM
  To check for a short, disconnect the NEG battery cable and connect a test light alligator clip to the cable and probe the battery terminal with the test light point. if the light glows, you have a short. Disconnect and label wires and one at a time until the light does not glow. Repair the short and start reconnecting the wires watching the test light to make sure that you do not have any more shorts.

If you still have the 3 brush generator, the cutout may be stuck, so I would start with removing the wire from the cutout first. If your cutout is bad, consider replacing it with a solid state voltage regulator from Fun Projects.

http://www.funprojects.com/search.aspx?querystr=1938&querytype=year

Tom

41fatty    -- 07-13-2017 @ 10:51 PM
  Optimas can be placed inside the original Ford battery case with a little time and patience.

41fatty    -- 07-13-2017 @ 10:54 PM
  Optimas can be placed in the Ford script battery cases with a little time and patience.

Dream38v8    -- 07-23-2017 @ 2:34 PM
  As I stated in my previous post the original battery was bad. The Optima also ran down. Started checking for shorts. Turns out I had the electric fuel pump and instrument panel light switches on. We also tracked down a bad interior light switch and cutout. I've labeled the switches, replaced the interior light switch and the cutout. The new cutout is a modern voltage regulator (looks like a cutout) from Joe's Antique Auto Parts. The car is running great and the battery is staying charged. Thanks to everyone for your post assistance.

Ray

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10917