Topic: Flowing carburetor

mercury1953    -- 06-30-2017 @ 9:53 AM
  Hi there i new here at the forum-
I ended up on a wire where someone showed how to make a template to check the height of the fleet in the carburetor on a 53 flathead. I would like that "template" but I can not open the page it's on. Someone who can help me with this. Or give me the measure of how to set the fleet level.
Thank you for reply
Lars, a new owner of flathead but with a flowing carburetor.

MG    -- 06-30-2017 @ 10:24 AM
  It's the 'float' level you're looking for. Float as opposed to "fleet'....

I see that your handle is 'mercury1953'. Can you provide us with more details on the carburetor you have? - Model of carb etc. If possible, a picture of the carb would help....

This message was edited by MG on 6-30-17 @ 11:45 AM

ken ct.    -- 06-30-2017 @ 1:04 PM
  The float is set on a Stromberg @ 1/4" down from the no gasket surface at the end of float //// float is set on the ford holley @ 1 +7/16" with the top of carb upside down. These are real world settings (not whats in the rebuilt kit instructions). Do not recomed rubbet tipped needles in these carbs. ken ct.

mercury1953    -- 07-01-2017 @ 5:02 AM
  Thank you for your answers. It's true MG that the car is a Mercury 1953 but sometime in history, the engine has been replaced so it's a "regular" Ford flathead that's in it now still 1953. The carburettor is a Ford 2 port carburetor fitting 1952-1953. Carburetor is an exchange but it has the same values as an original. It's float level that I would be grateful if I could get. The problem is that it flows over gas in the upper part of the carburetor where it is assembled
Someone told me I should also install a regulator between the fuel pump and the carburettor. The pump should give too high the psi carburetor should what i hear about 2.5 psi is it true? How did old Henry think then?
Thank you also Ken ct. It's probably HOLLY / Ford that I'm going to use 1 "7/16 (36,6 mm) it's when the lid is up and down the needle valve closed. Did I get it right then?
Thank you for your kindness.
Lars
Sweden

ken ct.    -- 07-01-2017 @ 7:08 AM
  I am confused as to which carb you are going to use. Explain to me better. Strom floats are set with carb sitting right side up as on car. Ford-Holleys are set with top of carb up side down. Strom carbs are set with inlet fitting scr*w*d in tight and must not be moved after setting float. ken ct usa.

mercury1953    -- 07-01-2017 @ 9:04 AM
  It is an original carburetor labeled Ford. See image, also called Holly 94. I think it was the only one sitting on Ford's flathead in 1953. Thank you for trying to help me and excuse me that it's a bit bad with English but hope you understand.
Lars

This message was edited by mercury1953 on 7-1-17 @ 9:05 AM

ken ct.    -- 07-01-2017 @ 11:57 AM
  Oh,ok you have a 53 Merc with a Ford engine in it. And a correct 94 type carb on it.Looks like a dennis-carpenter repo to me. Don't care for his carbs,many Chineez parts in them. Rubber accelerator pump, rubber tipped inlet needle,incorrect power valve etc. etc. I have USA made kits with all the old-school componants in them for the DIYS guys. Email or PM me as I see you are in Sweden. ken ct

mercury1953    -- 07-01-2017 @ 1:06 PM
  Ken ct The picture is probably from a repro carburetor I borrowed from the net to explain what model was sitting on the Ford engines 53. But the one I own is a good old Henry Ford carburetor. What I want to know is what height the float should be. I do not want to buy a new carburettor or rebuild kit. If that had been the thought, I would have turned to a company that sells them.
Kind regards
Lars.

ken ct.    -- 07-01-2017 @ 4:53 PM
  I posted the float setting in my previous post 1 an 7/16 " with the top of carb inverted from the gasket surface (no gasket on it)to the bottom of float (which is now in the top positon) needle will be in a closed position at this point or didn't I make it clear enough. Should be clear as mud. "Kens Ford Carburetors" ken ct USA This is on a 94 type carb.

mercury1953    -- 07-02-2017 @ 1:12 AM
  Thank you Ken, they are the numbers I need to do the job, I think. The other measure is not that important? It's just so it does not hit the bottom and the needle is striking out. Now it's clear like clay. Thanks for now. Now only remains to do the job.
Lars

ken ct.    -- 07-02-2017 @ 1:41 AM
  As you said the float drop is not that important,float just has to drop a 3/16" to let the needle drop to open an let gas into carb. Do not use a rubber tipped needle of any kind. Use all steel needle. I have genuine old-school new ones if you don't have one. ken ct usa (in Ford script small envolopes)

mercury1953    -- 07-03-2017 @ 8:11 AM
  Thank you all
Now it works again and the engine whispers like a cat.
Lars

ken ct.    -- 07-03-2017 @ 8:33 AM
  Good ,what cured your problem knowing what worked might help someone else !! ken ct usa.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10915