Topic: Mr. 37Ragtopman

carpguy    -- 04-12-2010 @ 7:32 AM
  Morning,
At this point of time I haven't approached the guy I bought my truck from yet about the bad block. I have kept all my receipts from the start of this project and have the ones for this rebulid. When I got the truck it was a project that was started 20 years ago and never finished it sat in his basement this whole time unfinished. I was told at the time the motor was bebuilt by some guru in Spokane. So I am hoping that he does pay for this. The one thing I do have going for me is the guy that farms next to me was there when I bought the truck plus the two of them are kind of friends from a airplane club. Right now I have paid for a new gasket set at 160.00, 100.00 for a used motor plus 600.00 for motor machine work plus I have bought new paint. another 5 qt. of oil. When I took the motor out of truck the plate and gear on end of the camshaft wasn't tightn down, only maybe finger tight, that would of caused all sorts of damage, there was a bolt inside the water jacket in one of the heads. Now I have found out the smaller head stud bolts where almost 2 3/4" instead of 2 5/16" and I'm not sure they could of even torque them down correctly because the smooth part of the stud in the middle where higher than the head. So in one way this was a good thing but.......... When I'm done I will put a bill togeather and see what happens. I even what to add my labor at least some. I know it could of been done faster. I'm doing it but I'm learning as I go. another nice thing is I got a nice stromberg 48 carb off of the 100.00 motor, I cleaned it up and rebuilt it and it looks great. my first carb rebuid
Gary
Moscow, Idaho

supereal    -- 04-12-2010 @ 9:31 AM
  Gary: Your plight isn't all that unusual. Our shop is one of only a few that will touch old engines, and we disassemble and hot tank the blocks before running them thru our Magnaflux. More than half are not candidates for rebuilding for a number of reasons. Unless an engine is actually running before purchase, almost always it is junk. With full, correct rebuilds running into the $4-5,000 range, spending a fraction of that amount to ascertain whether it is worth it is a bargain.

BrianCT    -- 04-12-2010 @ 4:57 PM
  Gary, think of your labor as education [it doesn't cost; it pays.]

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-12-2010 @ 5:41 PM
  Hi Gary
thanks for the comeback on you problems ,
sounds like your have a hold on the problem,and are learning,
make sure to take pictures,and if possible the damaged block when you go to talk to him,
just keep cool, keep the blood pressure down,
good luck. lets hear how you made out,
37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1091