Topic: Clock not clocking!

flatheadfan    -- 06-25-2017 @ 9:47 AM
  I have a '36 glove box clock that has gone into retirement. I had it professional rebuilt 2 years ago. The warrantee was 90 days.

Is it possible to have a 6 volt clock updated to a quartz movement? Failing that who would you recommend to go through it again?

Thanks

Tom

bo8109b    -- 06-25-2017 @ 10:43 AM
  Had a 1948 Ford clock rebuilt by Classic Auto Electric in Kansas (620-241-6927) five years ago and is still running fine.

supereal    -- 06-25-2017 @ 1:44 PM
  If your clock is the electric wind type, cleaning the contact points will usually fix it. That movement has a "kicker" that energizes the winding gear when the clock starts to run down. If it is a windup type, I'd replace it with a quartz movement. They are inexpensive, and finding a clockmaker today that will touch them is tough Most of the old car magazine usually have an ad for clock service. Car clocks, particularly old ones, were not high quality to begin with.

Drbrown    -- 06-25-2017 @ 8:59 PM
  The "Clock Works" people did a fine repair and converted my '47 to 12 volt. I believe they do other types of conversions. Google and call to inquire.

TomO    -- 06-25-2017 @ 9:15 PM
  Is your clock electric or wind up? In either case it might be a simple DIY fix.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 06-25-2017 @ 10:05 PM
  TomO-

It is an electric.

Tom

TomO    -- 06-26-2017 @ 7:06 AM
  Take the back cover off of the clock and move check to see that the points are closing. If they are closed try moving the armature to wind the clock. If the clock runs when you wind it, the contact points need cleaning and adjusting. Clean them with a piece of cardboard soaked in alcohol. watch how they close when the clock starts to run down, they should close firmly with a slight spring tension on them. They should meet squarely when closed.

If the clock points are open, the clock will need cleaning and lubrication. I have been using Radio Shack Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant, but it is hard to find since they entered bankruptcy. The electric guiar people recommend Caig DeOxit. It is available from many suppliers. Spray the works with the cleaner, but do NOT spray directly on the balance wheel, you can knock it off of its pivot. This along with a gentle shake should get the clock working again. Connect the electrical connections to a 6 volt lantern battery and let it run for several days. If it stops, repeat the cleaning and lubricating process and retest.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 06-27-2017 @ 3:51 PM
  Thanks guys for the suggestions, I guess it is time for some bench work.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10898