Topic: 1940 ford pickup complete restoration

restobeginner    -- 06-22-2017 @ 12:51 PM
  I recently took over a truck restoration from a buddy of mine and im not sure how to proceed.

CharlieStephens    -- 06-22-2017 @ 1:08 PM
  Posting a picture would be a good place to start. Where are you on the project? Is the paint ready to rub out or did he just take everything part and put it in boxes? You should also put your general location in your profile, you can never tell when it will be important.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 6-22-17 @ 1:09 PM

restobeginner    -- 06-22-2017 @ 1:19 PM
  Some info on the truck and build:
When the truck was first brought to my yard it looked like someone was going for the ratrod look. It sat low to the ground and had a decent cab and bed. The front and rear fenders were missing along with the hood of the truck. As far as the motor goes, it looks like it was left outside for years with no protection so i'm not looking to use it.

On to when my buddy was working on it.
My friend E did not like the way the truck sat, so he purchased some new metal and found some schematics on the chassis and decided to make his own. I'm not sure how it sits, if its straight, if its welded fine, anything! E seemed to be happy with it because he proceeded to add airbags in the rear, new rotors, brakes, and calipers. This is where he left off. And where im picking up. As of now I have 2 chassis for 1 truck. This is where my first set of questions start.

How do I check if the chassis is in good shape?
What should I use to protect the chassis? (paint,coatings)
How do I get it to the rolling chassis stage?
metal or fiberglass replacement parts?

I have a genuine interest in restoring cars, im looking to become a car guy, im not there yet. Im not concerned with originality. I want to drive this truck whenever I want, wherever I want, knowing its reliable. I want modern brakes,Fuel injection, and AC! If im short a part/piece, I have no problem buying from a place that sells new original like parts.(macsautoparts.com)

My short term goal is to get the chassis protected with a coating, have all frame work ready for cab/panels and then to move on to the motor.

restobeginner    -- 06-22-2017 @ 1:20 PM
  pics incoming.

restobeginner    -- 06-22-2017 @ 1:32 PM
  New chassis

restobeginner    -- 06-22-2017 @ 1:33 PM
  New chassis (pic taken from back)

restobeginner    -- 06-22-2017 @ 1:34 PM
  Airbags and rear end mentioned previously

restobeginner    -- 06-22-2017 @ 1:35 PM
  Rear brakes

Cab

Bed

CharlieStephens    -- 06-22-2017 @ 3:17 PM
  From what I see you would be more comfortable on HAMB, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ You are also going to find that that is where the knowledge about what you are trying to do resides. The Early Ford V8 Club site is oriented towards restored (or mildly modified) vehicles.

Charlie Stephens

len47merc    -- 06-22-2017 @ 5:05 PM
  Hey Charlie - don't forget about us EFV8 'it's only original once' Rouge guys too!

Steve

CharlieStephens    -- 06-22-2017 @ 5:43 PM
  Steve,

I guess I am just not familiar with the 1940 trucks. Those pictures didn't look very original to me.

Charlie Stephens

alanwoodieman    -- 06-22-2017 @ 5:54 PM
  looks like you have quite an abandoned project. don't know what you want to build, build but good luck

1934 Ford    -- 06-22-2017 @ 6:08 PM
  Apparently the project was destined to be a "resto rod" looking similar to a 1940 Ford Pickup.
However what he has is some 40 Ford body parts and a dream. "Restoration" is not a reasonable goal. but a creative guy could finish it as a totally home built 40 style pickup. Unfortunately restoration help is not what he needs. It's a custom car build at this point. Good luck, it's a big project especially for a beginner.

1934 Ford's since 1972

shogun1940    -- 06-22-2017 @ 6:17 PM
  I would not touch that truck , unless i was a fabricator,the frame looks weak and poorly designed the welding is terrible.look on line at pictures of frames built by Morison and other frame company's you will see how rugged they are.

len47merc    -- 06-22-2017 @ 6:18 PM
  Sorry Charlie - guess I wasn't clear. You mentioned he'd be more comfortable on the HAMB as '...The Early Ford V8 Club site is oriented towards restored (or mildly modified) vehicles...'. You left out us 'original' vehicles in your site orientation reference - that's what I was referring to.

Clearly this is an abandoned project that had the original intent of being a custom all the way around in the end with little-to-no originality left other than perhaps the sh*ll. Out of my league on this one - good luck restobeginner and believe Charlie has given you very good advice.

Steve

CharlieStephens    -- 06-22-2017 @ 6:42 PM
  Steve,

Good point, sorry I left the original cars out. Unintentional oversight.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 6-22-17 @ 6:49 PM

restobeginner    -- 06-23-2017 @ 11:07 AM
  Thanks for all the advice. My terminology may have been off in regards to "restoration" but I understand where you guys are coming from.
Either way, I'm going to inquire with some local shops about where I'm at and what I can do to get her on the road. Worst case I scr*p this idea and work on something else.
I'll probably start to look in to rat rodding it and just having fun. I'll keep in touch, and I'm taking my jalopy over to the journal to see what they have to say. Be back soon

CharlieStephens    -- 06-23-2017 @ 11:53 AM
  Be careful you don't say "rat rod" over on HAMB. It is a hot button.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 6-23-17 @ 12:07 PM

Stroker    -- 06-23-2017 @ 4:27 PM
  I'd stay away from fiberglass repro parts. It looks like you have "the makings" of a nice Restro Rod. You probably won't get a lot of help from this Forum, as we are mainly "into" making stuff as original as possible.

However, we all LOVE stuff that "looks right", and we are a wonderful source of technical information on how to make it as original appearing as possible.

You won't get a lot of support from EFV8 folks if you alter the looks. Some of us however, do appreciate the advantages of the addition of contemporary engineering to make our early Fords more "drive-able"

restobeginner    -- 06-23-2017 @ 7:21 PM
  Thanks to 1934ford and Stroker, I appreciate the acceptance. Shogun 1940, I'm not a fabricator but a good friend of mine is! That's Practically the same thing! Alanwoodieman, I wasn't sure what I was going to build either but CharlieStephens got me to the jalopyjournal and apparently the way my truck sits they told me I'm looking at a "rudy" truck. I browsed the interweb and I've found my direction. Charlie, you may not like it but you set me on this path. See what being helpful gets you? Picture a fusion of these two.

restobeginner    -- 06-23-2017 @ 7:22 PM
  Pic2

CharlieStephens    -- 06-23-2017 @ 9:29 PM
  Here is a picture of what I consider to be the classic "rat rad". This doesn't look like what you had in mind but it is what comes to my mind when someone says "rat rod".

whizzerbug    -- 06-26-2017 @ 5:37 AM
  cab is a 1942-47 because gastank fill is on pass side

42oink    -- 06-26-2017 @ 7:52 AM
  Hi restobeginner, First, this is just my opinion. 1. Do not get discouraged as the previous owner probably did. 2nd, keep the cab and decide what you really (and realistically) want this truck to look like. You already have some good suggestions I this thread. 3rd, scr*p the frame, but save the components and brackets on it. Also, the bed looks kinda mickey mouse. 4th, watch for or advertise for an original frame from one of those street rod types or wherever and use this as your foundation. 5th, start with the cab and put in whatever patch panels, i.e. door bottoms, bottom rear of cab, etc. while you are chasing down the parts you need to continue. 6th, don't look at a concourse resto here if it's your first one. 7th and last, keep asking questions and post some progress photos. This may help keep you from getting discouraged. Good luck! I think you can do it! 42oink

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10887