Topic: Fuel Sending Unit

bigvince    -- 06-19-2017 @ 5:55 AM
  I replaced the float on the fuel sending unit of my 48 Woodie Wagon this weekend and while I am now getting a reading, it does not go past a quarter tank. The float and arm are in the 6 o'clock position in the gas tank. Should the arm be located in a different position to get a "full" reading? 12 o'clock? 3 or 9 o' clock?

And yes...the tank is full.

cliftford    -- 06-19-2017 @ 6:38 AM
  It sounds like you are not getting full travel on the float arm. pull the unit out, ground it to the chassis, turn the ignition on and check for full travel while watching the guage. If the tank is full the unit should be at the top of its travel when installed. If so, and you still get a low reading, I'd say the sending unit itself is at fault.

This message was edited by cliftford on 6-19-17 @ 6:58 AM

TomO    -- 06-19-2017 @ 7:10 AM
  I just went in my garage and tried my spare sending unit in my spare tank. The only way the I could get the screw holes to line up is when the float arm was pointing towards the passenger side of the car.

When I pointed the arm to the back or front of the car, it rubbed on the tank. Pointed to the driver's side, it rubbed on the baffle.

My tank is a 1940 Mercury, which is slightly different than your 48 Woodie, but the sending unit is the same.

If you have an aftermarket tank and/or sending unit, I would try installing it so the the float arm points to the passenger side of the car.

Tom

cliftford    -- 06-19-2017 @ 7:54 AM
  As I recall, the screw holes are spaced so that the sender will just go into the tank one way.

bigvince    -- 06-21-2017 @ 12:10 PM
  many thanks on the suggestions. It appears that the replacement unit was manufactured in Sri Lanka, India or the French colony of Kor - ee-ay where durability standards are not taken into account in the manufacture of replacement parts.

Looks like r/r on another Saturday and hope for something beyond a 120 day warranty.

len47merc    -- 06-21-2017 @ 12:33 PM
  bigvince - I tried to send you a p.m. but you have that disabled. I have a backup, fully functional unit from Drake for your model year if you're interested. Let me know, send a PM if you can activate it. Thanks -

Steve

len47merc    -- 06-21-2017 @ 12:33 PM
  Edit - removing double post.

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-21-17 @ 12:34 PM

bigvince    -- 06-27-2017 @ 4:50 PM
  May be interested in your unit. Send me price on p. (activated now)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10877