Topic: Grand National 2018

ken ct.    -- 06-14-2017 @ 10:08 PM
  I heard a rumor a while back that the Club was NOT going to hold any more GN in Dearborn with its many problems there ????? ken ct.

1935fordtn    -- 06-15-2017 @ 1:43 AM
  Sounds as though what you heard was exactly that..... just a rumor. There are NO problems in Dearborn.

ken ct.    -- 06-15-2017 @ 2:31 AM
  Problems with parts Vendors in Motor Homes at host hotels , pot hole problems with road system there , etc,etc. Ive vended there 3 times and it got worse each time, Dearborn and host hotels don't seem to want MH there. What would a GN or any other National meet be with out a swap field as Vendors drop out of doing these problem meets. Ask any Club member that Vends with a camper at these shows. Hotels are getting greedy and its all about the $$$$. Ken Isidor /// Member and Vendor for the past 25 yrs. (kens Ford Carbs) ken ct.

1935fordtn    -- 06-15-2017 @ 4:36 AM
  I understand what you are saying, I can Guarantee that Dearborn could care less whether you travel there with a MH or not. The host hotel is the one that does not allow the practice. I too used to have a MH and spent almost an entire year going to swap meets all over every weekend. If the swap meet was at a hotel it was simple, I went without it or found a campground. I imagine more members prefer the accommodations of having a meet at a hotel rather than a random parking lot vs the two or three members that can't park a MH in the swap area. It's going to be this way at most any meet at a host hotel NOT just Dearborn.

I don't think of hotels as greedy, they are simply a business, so for you to say it is all about the $$ to hotels you are exactly right. The same holds true for any business in the world.

As for pot holes I have never canceled a trip somewhere due to a few pot holes in the road.

Not trying to be negative towards you in any sense just offering my 2 cents. I sincerely hope you change your mind and come to the meet. I have never been to a meet that I did not thoroughly enjoy. The efforts of all that put these meets on usually goes unrecognized by many.

ken ct.    -- 06-15-2017 @ 7:45 AM
  I too have done many shows up and down the east coast for the past 25 yrs,only in the past 5-6 yrs has this problem with the hotels started to show up. Many show goers and local residents agreed the roads are terrible in Mi. period , frost heaves and pot holes in the middle of roads. Wasn't only my opinion. As I'm retireing from rebuilding and doing shows its imaterial now. ken ct

woodiewagon46    -- 06-15-2017 @ 10:07 AM
  If I was going to allow "pot holes" to stop me, I would have to move from the NY metro area. I'm sure the V-8 Club is going to negotiate the best rate for the host hotel. I can't think of a better venue for our cars than Dearborn. You must understand the issues with motorhomes taking up 6 or 8 parking spots at a hotel. Add several motorhomes and the guests won't have anywhere to park. It's a hotel, not a campground!

kubes40    -- 06-15-2017 @ 11:04 AM
  I have never quite understood those that complain about lodging costs, etc. associated with a car show. This is NOT a cheap hobby.
Many guys show up with very expensive cars and complain about the lodging, etc. Kind of makes me think of the guys that but $75,000 new cars and complain about the mileage. Really?

Perhaps some guys simply like to complain?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

3w2    -- 06-15-2017 @ 3:19 PM
  Ken,

I'd bet that If you owned a hotel, you'd have the same policy regarding non-registered guests (of the hotel) taking up hotel parking spaces.

I've been all around the Dearborn area of late and the roads are in very good condition without a pot hole in sight (and I'm pretty observant of such things). The lot at the hotel designated for the swap meet does need attention, but there's nearly a year for that to happen. The lot for the concourse was repaved very recently.

You could always ask the folks at the shopping center directly across the internal access road from the meet hotel for their permission to park your rig there.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 6-16-17 @ 9:50 AM

mhsprecher    -- 06-16-2017 @ 6:07 PM
  I have heard for years about how bad the roads are in Michigan. I have not been all over the state, but between Detroit, Lansing and the airport a bunch and the roads there seem as good or better than anywhere.

ken ct.    -- 06-16-2017 @ 10:53 PM
  Vendors out of MH's would setup in the swap meet section NOT in the guest area so that's a wash. They also pay $$ for each and every space they use to make available parts for YOU people.Ive had my say and I'm done with it. ken ct

Grant    -- 06-23-2017 @ 4:54 AM
  Greetings from the wrong side of the border.

I just ran our '36 in the Detroit/Pontiac/Flint/Port Huron area of Michigan on the week-end of June 3rd, attending the Sins Of Steel motor city mayhem show at the old 4H fairgrounds in Davisburg. Total distance driven in Michigan was ~175 miles.

The roads were just fine, including both I-75 and I-69 at 65 mph. Very few transport trucks. Two-lane blacktop state roadways were also really good.

From time to time I go to the Benson Ford Research Center in Dearborn. Roads there are quite good too, although I haven't driven in that area since last year. Oakwood Boulevard had recently been repaved.

There is no doubt in my mind that the location of the 2018 Grand National is well-chosen and will present no problem for those of us who choose to cruise the area.

I urge everyone planning to go who has some extra time before or after the EFV8 meet to seriously consider a visit to Gilmore's museum at Hickory Corners, 120 miles due west via I-94. Their flathead Lincoln stuff is superb. And if Model As turn your crank there's a building full of them as well.

Does anyone know yet what the choice is for the 2018 Grand National host hotel?

Grant    -- 06-23-2017 @ 4:59 AM
  This early Ford V8 showed up at the Davisburg MI meet on June 3rd. Engine appeared to be a '35 or '36.

JM    -- 06-23-2017 @ 8:26 AM
  I trailered a car to Dearborn in 2007 for the 75th anniversary of the Flathead Ford V-8 and the '32 Ford. Interstate 75 at that time was in the poorest condition of any road I had ever traveled on. I hit so many pot holes and damaged areas in the road that I felt sure I had damaged the suspension on my tow vehicle or trailer. When I left Dearborn I took a completely different route home that wasn't much better until I got into Ohio. That was 10 years ago, and based on Grants report, it sounds like the situation has greatly improved. However, even if those roads were still a mess come next June, I would still plan to head to the GNM. There is just so many great things to do and see in that area that's related to the history of these early Ford V-8's and the Ford Motor Company in general. The Gilmore Museum is also on our list of places to visit as part of next years trip to Dearborn.
Some details of the '18 GNM are now posted here along with early registration forms that can be downloaded. Get signed up folks.......hope to see you there next June

John

This message was edited by JM on 6-23-17 @ 8:29 AM

Grant    -- 06-23-2017 @ 3:14 PM
  And of course, about two hours south of Hickory Corners, the Early Ford V8 Foundation Museum is in Auburn. Even more fun.

The pre- and post-GNM tour opportunities are topnotch.

Right in the Dearborn area, anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of seeing the Henry Ford Museum or Greenfield Village or the Rouge plant will have fun there too.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10866