Topic: Can't get my 36 to run correct

voced    -- 06-09-2017 @ 3:48 AM
  I have done everything with exception of taking the heads off of my 1936 Cabriolet to get it running right. Who would be a good person to call about this situation.
Compression is even at 75 lbs and everything else has been rebuilt or replaced. Even the intake manifold. I have run out of things to do.
Jerry
574-952-4550

This message was edited by voced on 6-9-17 @ 3:49 AM

4dFordSC    -- 06-09-2017 @ 3:52 AM
  Might help to know where you are.

len47merc    -- 06-09-2017 @ 4:55 AM
  Googling his provided area code of '574' shows in or near South Bend, IN.

What behavior are you experiencing with your engine? Your initial question is quite vague and non-specific. Pethaps someone here can get you started in the right direction and the discussion thread ultimately may help others as well.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 6-9-17 @ 4:55 AM

TomO    -- 06-09-2017 @ 6:26 AM
  Jerry, Please follow Steve's advice and describe your problem with the running of your car. As you have found out just replacing parts can be expensive and not solve the problem.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 06-09-2017 @ 7:14 AM
  What was the recent history of the car? Was it running properly before you worked on it? If the engine has even compression in all of the cylinders, you have the first part of your problem solved. Now you just need to tackle the other two items to make the engine run right: ignition at the proper time and fuel/air mixture in the correct ratio. One old rule-of-thumb with spark ignition engines is that when they don't run right, 90% of the time the problem is ignition. Going with that theory, the first thing that needs to be checked is to verify that you have the correct firing order. It is easy to get the wires out of order when you install them into the distributor. If you find the firing order is correct and the engine still doesn't run properly, let us know and we will offer further advice. Good luck on getting this engine to run properly.

voced    -- 06-09-2017 @ 1:21 PM
  Yes Steve, I live in Plymouth, Indiana. If you would get me a number to call you at, I can relay what is going on with the engine. Or you can call me at 574-952-4550
Thanks
Jerry

Larry Lange    -- 06-10-2017 @ 11:05 AM
  Car crazy has good advice. I'd add that you should make sure your ignition coil is good, and that it will withstand the heat in the engine compartment. Almost all the problems I've had with running Ford flatheads has been with the coils. I'm now running my 59A engine in my 36 Cabriolet with a Standard brand UC-14 coil, per advice from our local mechanical wizard Gary Duff. It's taken care of my problems. You could adapt that coil to your engine if need be.

Larry Lange, Puget Sound Regional Group
Seattle

voced    -- 06-14-2017 @ 5:00 PM
  I found the problem. It was the rebuilt carburetor that had one of the main jets oversized. It runs like a new one now. Thanks to all of you that gave me advice.
Jerry Hollenbaugh

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10848