Topic: '47 Rear Compartment Light Switch

len47merc    -- 06-06-2017 @ 3:20 PM
  Took a couple of years after I obtained the '47 before I saw a rear compartment light listed on the wiring diagram - never knew it existed before as I'd never opened the trunk at night with the light switch on. Once I found it and, as opposed to modern cars, figured out that the light switch had to be on for it to function, reinstalled it and moved on - until now.

Used the light this past weekend at night and it was non-functional - that is until I uninstalled it and tipped it a bit further for the mercury slug to make contact. Clearly the way it was 'originally' installed (either by the factory or someone prior to me), which is how I reinstalled it a year or so back, did not allow the mercury slug to travel far enough with the trunk deck fully open for the switch to make.

So this begs the question - what is the correct installation orientation for the light, which hole (there are 2) in the bracket is it supposed to be mounted on and is the light bracket intended to be 'bendable' (i.e., 'adjustable') to allow for the switch to just make contact when the truck lid is opened fully?

When mounted on the hole furthest from the switch and the bracket adequately formed/bent for the switch to make contact the switch is pinched between the trunk mounting bracket and the rear window deck. I have it mounted in the second hole and bent just enough for the switch to make contact when the lid is fully opened and it is not pinched as before. Perhaps I'm answering my own question concerning functionality but I remained interested in what is 'correct'.

Thanks in advance -

Steve

Drbrown    -- 06-06-2017 @ 10:55 PM
  Just to say, you're lucky to have a working OE switch. Don't have experience with bending the bracket. The switches are very rare at best since the use of mercury was largely outlawed. My '47 is missing its mercury operated switch; just had bracket. Bought a socket and use a pull-chain switch instead.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 6-6-17 @ 10:57 PM

ken ct.    -- 06-06-2017 @ 11:53 PM
  Steve think of the hundreds maybe thousands of different people that assembled these 47 Mercs all across the country,you wouldn't think they would all come out exactly the same would you ?? Be thankful you have a working switch and don't be so nit-picky LOL ken ct.

TomO    -- 06-07-2017 @ 6:57 AM
  Steve, have you looked in the 41-48 book for a photo? If there is not one, ask Rusty Davis. The mounting changed from 1939-1940 to the later cars.

I understand Bob Drake had some replacement mercury switches.

Tom

len47merc    -- 06-07-2017 @ 7:45 AM
  Thanks guys. I did pour through my '41-'48 Ford Book before posting this question but could not find any pics, only this reference on page 3-25:

'In all Deluxe and Super DeLuxe model cars the compartment was also illuminated via a lamp equipped with a mercury switch that mounted on the left hand hinge arm of the compartment lid.'

This is where the '47's switch is mounted and I have a couple of very good reasons to believe it had never been removed since install, and as well the light was never functional given its mounted orientation left it too vertical even with the trunk lid fully opened and the light's bracket arm clearly had a smooth, never re-formed/bent factory arc to it that matched the trunk hinge arm. I took a couple of hundred pictures of the car from all angles upon receipt back in 2013 - under the dash, under the frame/hood, in the trunk, etc., etc. - to ensure whenever I removed something I could reinstall it the 'way it was', especially wiring, speedometer cable, etc. I can see in one of the pics the light bracket sitting inside the left hand hinge arm of the trunk compartment lid mounted in the first hole as it was understandably found it this weekend. Impossible for the switch to work with it in this hole and still have the trunk lid close without crushing the switch (after bending its bracket to make it almost horizontal when the lid is up). I had to move it to the second hole and reform the bracket to re-fit the arc radius of the left hand hinge arm as well as bend it down a bit in the rear to make the light function properly without being crushed when closing the trunk lid.

I was not aware of the rarity of the switches and also appreciate that this may be a minor detail perhaps unworthy of such attention, but given this car is so virgin and routinely garners Rouge and Rouge Medallion Awards, validations of originality by such esteemed individuals as Rusty Davis, Lin Stacey and many others at the National Meets, I have evolved my stewardship of the car since obtaining it to ensure it remains as accurate an example of originality as possible for all to view, examine, take stock of and reference for their projects, for years to come. If this is over-the-top and/or being anal, well, then, I'll accept it all as compliments.

Appreciate any pics, info and/or data that anyone may have on this point. Thanks again -

Steve

len47merc    -- 06-07-2017 @ 9:49 AM
  After exhausting all avenues I reached out to Rusty this morning for the 1st time since late 2013/early 2014 and he replied very swiftly. For those interested I'll report back the findings after his and my back-and-forth e-mails are complete.

Steve

len47merc    -- 06-07-2017 @ 11:39 AM
  Ok - turns out as I suspected there is only one light for both Fordors and Coupes/Convertibles, and the two holes are for mounting on the applicable, corresponding model. The Fordor's versus Coupe's/Convertible's deck lids clearly have different angles where they meet the body at the top and the two holes are intended to compensate for this. On coupes/convertibles the assembly is to be mounted in the first hole nearest the end of the bracket, and Fordors in the second hole nearest the light/switch. The assembly is mounted as mine was found with the light pointed toward the rear of the car. Bending/adjusting to optimize the point at which the mercury slug just makes contact as the lid just reaches fully opened- to the point bending/adjusting does not make it look 'wrong' - is to be expected.

Mine was found to have been originally mounted in the wrong hole in the bracket and apparently never checked for operation during assembly. It works as designed after changing to the correct mounting hole and 'adjusting' for operation.

Thanks to Rusty Davis for taking the time today and sharing his knowledge, and to everyone for responding to the thread.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10837