Topic: Motor Mounts

JayChicago    -- 06-05-2017 @ 6:06 PM
  40 Ford

I am going to raise the front of the engine about an inch or so to replace the motor mounts. Do I need to do anything with the anti-chatter rods? Anything else I need to be concerned about....any clearance/interference issues?

I have read the earlier thread on motor mounts. I did order the Bob Drake replacement mounts.

kubes40    -- 06-05-2017 @ 7:20 PM
  You can install the new ones without removing the rods. It's a close one, but can be done.
Anything else? Yes. Please watch your fingers carefully...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Drbrown    -- 06-05-2017 @ 11:16 PM
  May have to place a small hyd jack under head new bolt underneath and lower car to force the bolt high enough up thru bottom pad to get nut started on top. If any vibration, give it a good drive to settle the new pads in.

39 Ken    -- 06-06-2017 @ 4:37 AM
  Keep your eye on the fuel pump stand/oil filler tube.
Raising the front of the motor too much will jamb the
oil fill cap, etc. against the firewall and possibly break it.
Ken

flatheadfan    -- 06-06-2017 @ 11:51 PM
  Jay-

I am not so sure you need to raise the engine a full inch., A half inch should be adequate. The real problem is your radiator hoses. You will need to drain the radiator and loosen the hoses to allow the engine to lift off the mount saddles.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 06-07-2017 @ 11:22 AM
  Thanks for your advice, guys. I changed the motor mounts, all went well, and I still have my fingers. And yes, only had to raise the engine about 1/2 inch, and there is enough flex in the radiator hoses to handle that.

Well, not everything went perfectly well. The Bob Drake mount kits I received came with the 1/4 inch longer shoulder bolts, the bolts that Drake now lists in their catalog as for "special applications". No problem, I just cleaned and re-used my original bolts. In all fairness to Bob Drake, I did not order directly from them, bought as part of a larger order from one of the other vendors that resells Bob Drake parts. These may have been old inventory, or ??? The shoulder bolt shown in Drake's catalog today, 2-31/32", seems to match what is on my car, which I am assuming to be original 1940. So it seems there are different length shoulder bolts out there, besides different rubber cushions, so I would recommend to anyone ordering mounts today to order directly from Bob Drake.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10834