Topic: 37 brake shoe gauge neede

1937sedandelivery    -- 06-05-2017 @ 9:05 AM
  Hello,
I recently purchased a 37 Fordor and recently converted the hydraulic brakes (non original)back to mechanical ones. Now am attempting to adjust everything. The "1937 & 1938 Engine and Chassis Repair Manual" book has a great description on how to adjust things. Does anyone know where I can get a brake shoe gauge? This is used to ensure concentricity and adjust clearances to .005".
Thanks,
Gregg

ford38v8    -- 06-05-2017 @ 4:08 PM
  Gregg, A long time ago, I had the same urgent need for that gauge. Not finding one, I considered making one by cutting up a brake drum. Before I could locate a brake drum that otherwise was worthless, I discovered that the gauge, like many other KRW tools, was never really an essential tool for a good Ford mechanic to have. By the time you get your brakes fully assembled, you'll be able to make the adjustment by feel.

If you get hold of a KRW catalogue, you'll understand that KRW had a monopoly on tools made specifically for working on Fords, at old Henry's pleasure, in an effort to ensure in-house service for Fords, and of course, Wilson conceived of every possible tool for every job.

Alan

1937sedandelivery    -- 06-06-2017 @ 8:27 AM
  Hey Alan,
Sounds like I am going down the same path you traveled. I will "feel" this out.
As an aside, reading the "major brake adjustment" procedures, I discovered that the anchor pin is actually not perfectly circular. After all the playing around and cleaning the parts, initially I thought the pin was round, never gave it a second thought. I see now that it is slightly out-of-round and is used to help adjust the brakes to ensure concentricity.

My plan is to gradually adjust the brakes and test for slight "rubbing". It will be hard to tell if the rubbing is equal around both shoes and from top to bottom, but will give it my best shot. Also will play with the anchor pin to see how it affects the rubbing.

The brake cross shaft assembly is attached.

Thanks for the advice and experience!
Gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10830