Topic: Mystery Manifold

deluxe40    -- 04-10-2010 @ 5:05 PM
  Does anyone know what this flathead manifold came on? It has the vacuum port directly below the carburetor like the post war engines. I have never seen a manifold with an opening on the passenger side front like the one covered with the diamond shaped plate. The plate is held on with two screws and covers a hole about 1" in diameter.

supereal    -- 04-11-2010 @ 10:46 AM
  It is likely from a truck or industrial engine, with a port for a governor.

Alan    -- 04-11-2010 @ 6:30 PM
  They were probably Canadian as all post war Fords in Australia (46 to 48) had these manifolds. They had a filler tube with cap for topping up oil, a lot easier than filling from the back.
Alan.

ford38v8    -- 04-11-2010 @ 9:00 PM
  Alan, Not to dispute you, but I'm not sure that Ford would make such a change solely because it would be easier for the average Joe to work on. On the other hand, it was a necessity to have the filler up front on a COE, the vehicle that this manifold was designed for.

Alan

Alan    -- 04-11-2010 @ 11:02 PM
  You maybe right, but every Ford & Mercury after the war in Australia had that manifold fitted to them.
Alan.

Alan    -- 04-11-2010 @ 11:27 PM
  I don't know if this will work but you can see the filler tube in front of the battery if the picture comes out, it a 39 convertable coupe.

deluxe40    -- 04-12-2010 @ 10:26 AM
  Thanks, guys. Very interesting. The manifold came with an unused engine that was rumored to have been stored in some military or industrial facility since WW II. The block appears to be '40 (3 1/16" bore, flat on top, passes the "pencil test", has plugged holes in the pan mounting surface), but also has a later cam and timing gear cover for a two bolt distributor. Maybe a factory replacement engine, possibly from Canada.

Stroker    -- 04-12-2010 @ 11:49 AM
  That's an interesting piece. I all my years of messing with Ford V8's (close to 60), I have never seen this manifold. The oil filler makes sense, as it is about in the same location as an 8BA.
Military and Cab-Over applications made sense to me as well, but having never been "down under", I couldn't attest to that. Would be a handy improvement to any flathead manifold. Maybe Edelbrock will build a 3-jug version, so's we don't have to juggle the "Swingspout" around the rear K&N. Learn
something new everyday!

Alan    -- 04-12-2010 @ 1:56 PM
  Here is the manifold on a very original 48 mercury, Australian car
Alan.

deluxe40    -- 04-12-2010 @ 4:12 PM
  Here's what the engine looked like after I got the first layer of preservatives off. Note the dates stenciled in white. Also, check out the strange bumps on the backs of the heads.

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 4-12-10 @ 4:51 PM

Stroker    -- 04-12-2010 @ 4:56 PM
  Interesting....very interesting. I've never seen heads like that, those look like bosses that were cast in to provide coolant plumbing for some strange application. Definitely "gov't-looking" preservation notes.

ford38v8    -- 04-12-2010 @ 7:36 PM
  DeLuxe40, You took off the distributor and did not find a cam adapter? Then this did actually have a postwar cam? The heads make me think The whole thing may be a German Ford.

Alan

deluxe40    -- 04-12-2010 @ 7:50 PM
  The engine did not come with a distributor but a '42 distributor bolts right up with no adapters. The combination of the '39-'40 block with the '42-'48 cam made us think it might be a multi-year replacement engine, made during the war. A friend has service bulletins describing such things.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1083