Topic: Speedometer Repairs

JT Ford    -- 05-30-2017 @ 12:55 PM
  Anyone have a contact that can repair my '49 car speedometer? It just went haywire, the odometer works
fine so it not the cable.....

Drbrown    -- 05-30-2017 @ 10:46 PM
  If your odometer is working, the unit is not making noise and you have tried oiling the input shaft at the rear of the housing, it sounds like the internal rotating magnetic dish and/or the spring-loaded indicator are malfunctioning. There are a few auto gauge rebuilders that sell most types of working or rebuilt units but I don't have their names handy. Buying a working replacement off one of the forum classified sites or at eBay is usually less expensive .... sometimes requires patience for one to come along.

TomO    -- 05-31-2017 @ 6:31 AM
  What do you mean by "went haywire"?

Baxter ford parts in Lawrence, KS is a good source for instrument repairs.

baxterford@sunflower.com

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-31-17 @ 6:32 AM

kubes40    -- 05-31-2017 @ 6:43 AM
  I really like working with Mike Blaisdell in Indiana. He is one heck of a good guy and does exceptional work both quickly and at a very fair price.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

DJ    -- 10-01-2017 @ 2:14 PM
  I believe my 1951 Custom speedometer meets your description. It would randomly go “haywire”; meaning the speed indicator would go up and down, while making a whining noise. It would only do this for a minute or so max, and then work properly; until yesterday. It began going haywire, whining terribly, and did not stop for some time. When it did stop, it no longer was operational. However, as you indicated, the odometer is still working. I am new to this car. I wish I had looked into lubrication when it first acted up. So, is it worth any diagnostics on my part, or do I just need to pull it and ship it out for repair?

DJ    -- 10-01-2017 @ 7:35 PM
  I believe my 1951 Custom speedometer meets your description. It would randomly go “haywire”; meaning the speed indicator would go up and down, while making a whining noise. It would only do this for a minute or so max, and then work properly; until yesterday. It began going haywire, whining terribly, and did not stop for some time. When it did stop, it no longer was operational. However, as you indicated, the odometer is still working. I am new to this car. I wish I had looked into lubrication when it first acted up. So, is it worth any diagnostics on my part, or do I just need to pull it and ship it out for repair?

Big Red 51    -- 10-01-2017 @ 7:45 PM
  Tom, I checked Baxter a few weeks back and he said he is no longer doing speedometers, only working on transmissions. I had a broken '53 SW speedo and got a complete '52 instrument cluster including a working speedo form a junk car in Georgia delivered for $69. The other instruments work as well. Don

TomO    -- 10-02-2017 @ 7:24 AM
  DJ, it is worth a try to lubricate the cable and the speedometer head. If that doesn't fix the problem, send it to the fellow that Mike Kubarth recommended.

Big Red, thanks for posting the information on Baxter Ford parts. He was a reliable and reasonable source for instrument repairs.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-02-2017 @ 1:38 PM
  We use Bob's Speedometer in Michigan. 1-800-592-9673.

Drbrown    -- 10-02-2017 @ 9:00 PM
  In the late 1940 units, the way the internal parts were designed, the Odometer could work because it was gear-driven but the magnetic head could fail if the bronze bushing faultered (took mine apart to see). I found an NOS speedo in the HAMB classifieds for same price as a rebuilt.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10807