Topic: Adding a oil filter to my 40 Ford

bwhitworth    -- 05-30-2017 @ 7:01 AM
  My 40 Ford does not have an oil filter, I purchased one at a swap meet and want to install it. I know the oil feed comes from the rear of the block below oil pressure sending unit. I am missing the metal tubes to connect the filter, I see them for sale in Bob Carpenter's catalog for about $60. I do not have the fitting on the oil pan where the return line goes into the oil pan. I don't want to drill holes in the pan, is there another location I can use to return the oil? Could I use rubber hose for the lines? Is the oil pressure too high for rubber? The filter can that I have does not have gaskets for the filter housing or the retaining nut, does Carpenter sell them also? Thanks

ken ct.    -- 05-30-2017 @ 4:26 PM
  All your doing is opening a can of worms,leave it the way it is and just change oil a little more often and you will be ok. been there done that. OMO ken ct.

kubes40    -- 05-30-2017 @ 6:10 PM
  bwhitworth,
The first design oil filter used a pair of flexible lines. One, the pressure line, was routed from the port near the sending unit as you'd mentioned. the other, the return line, was routed to a special fitting that replaced the bolt holding the fuel pump to the pump stand. Around April, 1940, the return line was routed to the front of the timing cover. A special bolt replaced one of the timing cover bolts to facilitate this installation. There was never a time in 1940 that steel lines were utilized and never a time that the return oil was routed directly to the oil pan.

Gaskets? A new gasket is supplied with a new oil filter element. The supplied gasket is placed between the lid and housing. A second gasket made of copper was placed between the bolt shoulder and housing cover. These can be purchased at NAPA by size.

I am not an advocate for the original type oil filter. Yes, they did help but perhaps with some folks arguing otherwise, not much.

My advice? Change the oil at frequent intervals. Also, keep the air filter clean. With modern oils and especially modern fuels, the engine does not get contaminated as they once did.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Drbrown    -- 05-30-2017 @ 10:25 PM
  Totally agree with Ken and Kube above, recommending leaving it as is. My '47 never had an oil filter on it and apparently has its original 59AB with 35,000 on its current rebuild. I use a name brand HD 10w-30 oil and change it every 1000 miles.
After 35,000 it doesn't burn oil and shows good compression, vacuum and oil pressure readings. Lucky me !

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10803