Topic: Brake Drums

Richard S    -- 05-30-2017 @ 5:11 AM
  Hi I have a 37 model 78 Ford, it has 10 1/4" stud brake drums, they have been turned out past the max limit, does anybody know of a company in the USA of the rest of the world that manufacture new drums for this model, i live in the UK and not haveing a lot of luck, i am also trying to find a company that could put a sleeve in them, i would be intrested to see what others are doing.
Regards
Richard

Colin    -- 05-30-2017 @ 1:02 PM
  Hi Richard,

I see no reason why you can't use V8 Pilot Brake Drums which would be fairly easy to find here in the UK. I know that these will fit a 1937/8 Lincoln-Zephyr and in theory should fit a 1937/8 Ford, Your photo shows the car on correct 68-1015-A wheels with Pilot hubcaps. If it helps I can probably find some drums to measure. Are you a member of the EFV8 UK Group?

Colin

Richard S    -- 05-31-2017 @ 5:33 AM
  Hi Colin i was thinking about the Pilot drums, i have spoken to Belcher Engineering they tell me the pilot drums are a different part number, but if you have a drum you could measure that would be great, its the front drums i am most in need of, i was hoping to remove one of mine and take it over to them at some point. But its getting the time.
I need to renew my membership which has just lapsed for the EFV8 GB Club.
regards
Richard

Colin    -- 06-04-2017 @ 9:33 AM
  Hi Richard,

I have found a Pilot brake drum and it measures 12 ins dia, 1 15/17 ins in depth. I have checked in some old British aftermarket suppiers books and they give the sizes of both the Model 78 and Pilot drums as 12 ins dia, 1 3/4 ins in depth. The linings are different sizes because the Pilot has external wheel cylinders which would allow for a larger shoe and lining area. The Pilot drums are a different part number to the Modle 78 and a slightly different design but I am sure that they will fit. They do fit a Lincoln-Zephyr. Hope this is useful. Colin

Richard S    -- 06-09-2017 @ 3:05 PM
  Thanks Colin that is very helpful, i now just need to find a pair of Pilot drums that are in good condition, maybe at the all ford rally coming up soon or Belcher's, or if you have any contacts colin ?
Regards
Richard
rsmoothone@virginmedia.com

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10802