Topic: 37 pedal assembly disassembly help needed

1937sedandelivery    -- 05-26-2017 @ 6:56 PM
  Hello,
I am attempting to rebuild a 37 pedal assembly. It is comprised of the brake and clutch pedals, along with shaft 48-7506 and two NOS bushings. It is all held together with a pin 352581-S7 (5/16 x 1.5"), I believe. I have tried using a punch to remove the pin, but it didn't budge. I heated up the surrounding steel and still no dice.
I expect it needs to be pressed out by a machinist? And then can it be hammered back in or it must be pressed in?
Am looking for advise on how to complete the rebuild and any experiences anyone has had in doing the same thing.
Thanks,
Gregg

TomO    -- 05-27-2017 @ 6:46 AM
  Gregg, That pin is a straight pin with a flat head. I believe that the pin was peened over, like a rivet, when originally installed. You will have to remove the enlarged area and then can drive the pin out

Tom

1937sedandelivery    -- 05-27-2017 @ 7:23 AM
  Thanks Tom. It seems like Ford's intent was to never have to replace the shaft and/or bushings. I will keep working it since I have the parts already.
Gregg

JM    -- 05-27-2017 @ 1:32 PM
  Gregg, I've taken a few '35-'36 pedal assemblies apart, and I'm thinking '37 is basically the same assembly. When Ford put those pins/rivets in place, I believe they squished them from both ends in one operation which tended to expand the the center of the pins such that they conformed to some irregular internal areas, and this makes them difficult to drive out.
What I do is carefully grind one end of the pin down to the pedal casting/forging, countersink the pin in its exact center and drill a hole about half the diameter of the pin about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the pin. The drill bit most stay centered in the pin or this won't work. Then using a punch that fits into the bottom of the drilled hole, I begin driving the pin out. The hole in the center of the pin allows the OD of the pin to contract slightly as it's being driven out. Sometimes it takes a few good blows with a hammer to get that pin to start moving. Sometimes applying some heat will help get the pin to start moving.

John

This message was edited by JM on 5-27-17 @ 1:33 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10791