Topic: 1951 Ford Custom - Original Engine

DJ    -- 05-25-2017 @ 3:32 AM
  How do I determine on my 51 Custom, if the engine in it is the original engine?

ken ct.    -- 05-25-2017 @ 5:35 AM
  Not sure if later 49-53 engines had an engine #. Older ones did, not only places had a # were frame + tranny. Someone more wizer will chime in I'm sure. ken ct.

cliftford    -- 05-25-2017 @ 7:13 AM
  About the only way you can determine this is to be able to document the car's history back to the time it was sold new.

DJ    -- 05-26-2017 @ 4:04 AM
  Thank you. I was hoping it could be determined off the car some way. Car genealogy! That ought to be fun!

BUCKAWHO    -- 05-26-2017 @ 4:19 AM
  Hi....There should be a date code stamped on top of the engine block, right side rear, between the intake manifold and the right head. Code details are found in the Early Ford V8 Club's "Restorer's Guide" book on page 1-17. BT
P.S. Not easy to read with the engine still in the car.

DJ    -- 05-27-2017 @ 8:58 AM
  Is this what you're referring too?

DJ    -- 05-27-2017 @ 8:59 AM
  Location of pic above

BUCKAWHO    -- 05-28-2017 @ 4:48 AM
  Hi....No, it is not. Please re-read my post carefully again. The code is STAMPED on the engine BLOCK at the RIGHT SIDE REAR between the manifold and the head. This code only gives you the build date of the engine, not whether the engine is original to your car or not. But could be a good indicator if the code matches the date that your car was manufactured. As I stated, this code is very difficult to read if the engine is still in the car. On my '51, the code is very different from the car manufacturing date, although the engine is of the correct type. That is my only concern, as I have no history of the car. The engine could be original, or it could be a replacement, but I have no way of knowing. It is of the correct type; it performs well; it is painted the correct color; exterior appliances ( oil and air filters, fuel pump, generator, distributor, carb, fan and belts, and water pumps )are all correct; and the motor has been in the car for MANY years, which is very easy to tell. Only a complete history would tell you if a motor is original or not. It is of no concern to me. BT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10788