Topic: 1953 239 fuel pump questions, need some help pleas

53mike    -- 05-21-2017 @ 4:01 PM
  I want to replace my fuel pump 1953 239
Looking at replacements I see single and dual action. The pump that's in the car now is a dual going by looks. However there is a slight difference from the pictures I see. The pictures of the dual show 2 curved copper lines coming from the bottom that curve upward. What are these? They look like vents to me. The pump in my car looks identicle except it does not have these 2 curved tubes at the bottom as in the pictures. Can someone please explain this to me.
My existing pump just has the fuel inlet and outlet connected, nothing else, do I need a dual action?

MG    -- 05-21-2017 @ 4:23 PM
  If its like the one I'm thinking of, one of the tubes feeds your windshield wiper vacuum motor and the other connects to the vacuum port under the carb...,

53mike    -- 05-21-2017 @ 4:35 PM
  Pumps looks just like this but no lower tubes. My windshield wiper is plumbed to the base of the carb.

53mike    -- 05-21-2017 @ 4:36 PM
  IF my windshield wiper is plumbed correctly to the carb do I even need the dual pump?

MG    -- 05-21-2017 @ 4:43 PM
  The purpose of the dual pump as depicted in the picture you posted above, is to act as a vacuum boost for you wiper motor....

This message was edited by MG on 5-21-17 @ 4:44 PM

53mike    -- 05-21-2017 @ 5:01 PM
  Sounds like the PO eliminated the pump connection and plumbed the ww direct to the lower carb port. I wonder why, maybe because the two tubes are not present. Sounds like I need a schematic of how these vac lines should really be connected.

53mike    -- 05-21-2017 @ 5:02 PM
  Sounds like I am safe to order the fuel pump that has the two vac tubes???

ken ct.    -- 05-21-2017 @ 5:25 PM
  A single action pump is all you need and much cheaper as you don't seem to need the vacume section of a dual one. Its up to you. ken ct.

53mike    -- 05-21-2017 @ 5:34 PM
  What are the benefits of the dual action? I take it it is just a matter of getting the vac lines sorted.

40cpe    -- 05-21-2017 @ 6:42 PM
  Your engine vacuum goes to the input side of the vacuum section and the wiper hose goes to the output. It is designed to help with your vacuum wiper operation.

53mike    -- 05-21-2017 @ 8:27 PM
  OK, how do I determine which tube is which? Might the pump be marked?

One other question, I guess the push rod for the pump is vertical inside the housing, there must be a crank position for the rod to be at it's lowest point which should be where I would install the pump to make it easy. Should I just turn the engine and observe the rod when it's down the farthest? Looks like the cup on the end of the pump's lever goes over/on top of the rod. I haven't had it apart yet but I have a used pump that I'm looking at.

40cpe    -- 05-22-2017 @ 7:28 AM
  Install the pump, start the engine, hold your finger over the tubes. The one with vacuum goes to the wiper. The other goes to the manifold.

Installation: if you can't get the mounting bolts started in the position the old one was taken off, hold the pump and bump the engine over. If you don't have a remote starter button you will need a helper. You will feel the push rod move. Bump to a better position and install the bolts.

TomO    -- 05-22-2017 @ 7:31 AM
  The dual action fuel pump improves the wiper action when you step on the gas. Without the dual action pump,when you step on the gas, your wipers could slow to a stop. With the pump and a good wiper motor, they will just slow down.

To add the vacuum booster, you would remove the hose for the wipers from the intake manifold and attach it to the fuel pump wiper port and then connect a new line from the intake to the fuel pump.

The pushrod can be observed with the fuel pump off and you can turn over the engine until it is at the bottom of its stroke. It only moves about 1/4".

Tom

53mike    -- 05-22-2017 @ 7:43 AM
  Thank you gentleman.

53mike    -- 05-22-2017 @ 7:51 AM
  Is there a filter inside the glass bowl or any where inside the pump?

ken ct.    -- 05-22-2017 @ 8:31 AM
  One can be installed in the glass bowl (if its the longer bowl) not the short one. If you have the right parts, ken ct.

TomO    -- 05-23-2017 @ 8:32 AM
  Some of the pumps have a filter in the sediment bowl and others have a fine screen that fits in the top of the sediment bowl.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 05-23-2017 @ 8:56 AM
  All ford pumps have a screen in them. This is a pleated paper filter that can be added to the glass bowl pumps. ken ct

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10781