Topic: 1948 Ford Drive Shaft

bo8109b    -- 04-09-2010 @ 3:33 PM
  Noticed the side play in the front DS bearing is probably .015. What is acceptible. Is the wear likely in the sleeve? If one can fashion a puller & driver, is it not a difficult job replacing the seal & sleeve? Is there a stop for the seal? Where can I buy the thrust washer?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-10-2010 @ 7:59 AM
  did you remove the bearing and examine it?
was it dry when removed, has any wear MARKS, PITS or scores.the rollers should be shiny,
there is also a bearing sleeve in the drive shaft tube,
you will have to make a right angle pick to draw the bearing sleeve out,it has a small hole it to grab and remove also is probably worn,
AND then there is a seal that can be removed at that time, same seal as the inner axle seals,
you should if you have any wear is BEST to replace the whole assembly, I am assuming 1948is similar to the earlier V8'S
JOB LOT in NY, should have these, request were are they made before buying, try getting NOS or AMERICAN MADE PARTS, and use a good grease when putting back together,
HOPE this helps,37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-10-10 @ 8:02 AM

supereal    -- 04-10-2010 @ 8:09 AM
  The driveshaft front bearing, bearing race (sleeve), and seal are all available from C&G. (800/266-0470) I don't know a source for the spacer washer. The bearing is a Hyatt roller, and it is normal for some slop in that area, and unless either the roller or the sleeve is damaged, replacement is probably unnecessary. That area gets plenty of lubrication from the oil leakage at the rear of the transmission.

bo8109b    -- 04-10-2010 @ 3:50 PM
  Closely examined both the bearing and sleeve and found them both in excellent shape. Bearing had "Ford" stamped on it. Car has 83,000 on it. I'll lube it good and let it go. Thanks guys.

supereal    -- 04-11-2010 @ 10:51 AM
  Be sure to install all parts correctly. The seal lip faces the sleeve (race) next the roller bearing, then the thrust washer, followed by the speedo drive gear with the collar toward the bearing, then the snap ring. If you are not replacing the sleeve, the seal isn't a problem. Most leak, anyway. That is why the rear ends always seem to be full (or overfull), and the transmission needs regular checking and filling.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1077