Topic: '40 Ford Convertible vauum up/down

sarahcecelia    -- 05-16-2017 @ 3:29 PM
  Can anyone tell me the routing of the hoses to the(2) vacuum cylinders under the rear bench? It seems that it has(2) seperate hoses to go to those, because the operating valve on the dash has(3)outlets and(1)would be for engine vacum, and the other(2)for them.Do they route through the sill somehow;but how?? There is no tubing there now,and no t's. Carpenter Ford sent me a packet of(2)tees,but the fittings(3)on the operating valve on the dash are 3/8", and the rubber t's are 1/2"??? Phone me PLEASE!!Steve352-666-9916

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 05-17-2017 @ 7:15 AM
  Steve, here is a diagram from the Body Parts Catalog. I hope that it helps you.

Tom

kubes40    -- 05-17-2017 @ 12:55 PM
  Steve,
Tom has provided without question the best illustration of the top assembly that is available.
The three "outlets" on the switch are as you suspect - one for the vacuum source, one for the vacuum to be routed to the bottom of the canisters and finally, one to be routed to the top of the canisters.

Note that there is only one line for the "top" and one for the "bottom" run along the floor tunnel to just before the rear floor riser. It is there that each line is "T" , one to the left canister and one to the right.

The steel lines were 3/8" diameter.

Notes:
The front steel lines run behind the cardboard kick panel to very near the top of the panel. From there, short rubber hoses, 3/8" diameter, go from the steel line to the respective nipple on the switch.
These lines are continuous all the way back to where they "T" off. There are two small metal clamps that hold these lines next to each other where they are routed along the floor tunnel.
Once the "tees" are in place, another pair of steel lines on each side is routed behind the rear seat side panel. From there, once again, a short piece of 3/8" diameter rubber tubing connects the steel line(s) to the canister(s).

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10762