Topic: Ford Aluminum V8 aircraft engine

Stroker    -- 05-09-2017 @ 7:55 AM
  Question for the "experts" on this forum.

Does anyone know how many of the pictured all-aluminum Ford V8 aircraft engines were made? This particular engine was in "limited production" for a while.

These were mounted "backwards" in the airplane, and had a reduction gear built into the bell-housing to reverse the rotation in order to be compatible with "off-the shelf" propellers.

Stroker    -- 05-09-2017 @ 8:00 AM
  What's interesting to me is the intake manifold that mounts the carb "backwards". Ford supplied the engines as well for the 1935 McGaffey Airplane Development Company's little Aviate pictured below. This small plane featured a 1935 Ford grille as well as using Ford brake drums and a 1935 Ford radio.

This message was edited by Stroker on 5-9-17 @ 8:02 AM

3w2    -- 05-09-2017 @ 5:42 PM
  Hmmm. Normally aluminum oxide is not reddish-brown like that on the skirt of the block in your photo. Aluminum heads, sure, but the block given what in your photo appears to be iron oxide?

Stroker    -- 05-09-2017 @ 6:13 PM
  3w2: Like you, I don't KNOW.

It has been "reported" in many aircraft publications as being an aluminum block. I'm actually looking for documentation, rather than "speculation".

Someone "out there" has some answers, I'm sure.

Like you, I believe that there appears to be "rust" in the area above the oil pan/block parting line area. Whether this is just the migration of a rust-stain is on my part just a guess.

This message was edited by Stroker on 5-9-17 @ 6:18 PM

TomO    -- 05-10-2017 @ 7:08 AM
  The engine pictured appears to be the one at the Rhinbeck Aerodrome. That engine has a cast iron block, aluminum heads and an aluminum oil pan according to articles about the Arrow Sport F.

http://oldrhinebeck.org/aircraft-engines/

https://generalaviationnews.com/2015/07/13/in-search-of-the-700-airplane/

Tom

Stroker    -- 05-10-2017 @ 7:24 AM
  TomO. Sir, you NAILED it. Thank You for the information and link. A group of fellow aviators and I were "debating" this oddball engine, and I figured if I asked one of my fellow EV8'ers, they would know. Thank's again.

Stroker    -- 05-10-2017 @ 7:29 AM
  It turns out that they built 103 Arrow Sport Model F's, with CAST IRON Ford V8's. So..my original "premise" was faulty.
TomO got me "straightened out" though, as only he could.

TomO    -- 05-11-2017 @ 6:57 AM
  Your are welcome.

I remembered seeing that engine at the Aerodrome and Google helped me out.

If you are ever in the NY eastern half in the summer months, stop and visit the Aerodrome. They put on interesting dog fights as well as having a great display of aviation history, mostly before WWII. I used to visit regularly in the last century, but don't get to that part of the country much since I retired.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-11-17 @ 6:58 AM

4dFordSC    -- 05-11-2017 @ 1:12 PM
  Don't know if it was an Arrow or not, but my father told of flying a Ford flathead powered aircraft once early in his career and recalled that it was disturbingly underpowered. He and an acquaintance took off from the Oakland airport toward San Francisco one morning and skimmed the waves most of the way across the bay as they struggled to gain altitude with the SF skyline looming ever larger. They finally got high enough that he could turn around, and they immediately headed back to Oakland and landed without further ado. Having survived the experience, Dad went on to a 30+ year career as an airline pilot with United and Northwest.

Daryl Middlebrook    -- 05-11-2017 @ 2:11 PM
  For those interested-----I have a Ford aircraft engine. The cylinders are arranged in an "X" pattern around the crankshaft when looking from the front. There are 4 cylinders in the front row that form the "X" pattern. Then there are 4 more cylinders directly behind the front 4. Best described as an 8 cylinder twin row radial engine. Overhead camshafts on all cylinders. Dual ignition. Ford data plate on the engine.
This experimental engine was built by Ford to power the Tri-Motor. According to a old gentleman that I met years ago, he test-flew the Tri-Motor with this engine. He said that it ran hot. Shook badly. And was WAAAY under-powered.

This engine can be seen at the CURTISS museum in Hammondsport NY.

Stroker    -- 05-11-2017 @ 5:02 PM
  VERY INTERESTING Daryl: As an "ancient aviator" I would love to hear more about this engine. Please PM me.
Thanks. In the meantime; I'll "check out" the Curtiss Museum website. www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org

Dan

Bob-93021    -- 05-11-2017 @ 11:24 PM
  This thread is very interesting! I am not an expert on aviation motors but found Ford Model B engines used in aircraft great. That basic engine was Model A ford and early Ford tractor engine use. Probably the most reliable thing on earth - but heavy. I really like the Old Rhinebeck collection of engines that I did not know about. Tom o Thanks for posting.
If Daryl M could post a pix of the Ford radial 8 I would love to see that. I always thought the radial engines had to have an odd number of cylinders to operate. I am still impressed on how they came up radial engines so long ago. Thank you - Bob

This message was edited by Bob-93021 on 5-11-17 @ 11:33 PM

JM    -- 05-12-2017 @ 9:31 PM
  Picture of one of the surviving Ford Flathead aluminum block aircraft engines that was on display at Ford Headquarters in 2007 during the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Ford Flathead V-8 Engine and the 1932 Ford. I don't consider myself to be an "expert" on this forum nor on this subject, just happened to be at the celebration held in Dearborn, Michigan and remembered taking these pictures.

John

This message was edited by JM on 5-13-17 @ 4:30 AM

JM    -- 05-12-2017 @ 9:33 PM
  Details of aluminum block Flathead engine

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10750