Topic: Pedal Bumpers Install?

JayChicago    -- 05-08-2017 @ 12:01 PM
  1940. I need to install the under-the-floor-board rubber bumper stops on the brake and clutch pedal arms. I assume the easiest way to do this is to remove the floor board?

nelsb01    -- 05-08-2017 @ 2:42 PM
  Probably, but you may be able to do it without removal. To assist with the actual install, use dish soap liquid to help the rubber tabs slide into the holes.

Old Henry    -- 05-10-2017 @ 7:44 PM
  Yes. Remove the floor. Way easier that way.

kubes40    -- 05-11-2017 @ 6:34 AM
  You MUST remove the floor board on a '40 to install the bumpers.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

JayChicago    -- 05-11-2017 @ 11:25 AM
  Thanks, guys.

On the '40, the sponge rubber bumpers are 2 or 3 inches in diameter, too big to push through the floor board holes.

TomO    -- 05-12-2017 @ 6:27 AM
  Jay, some of the reproduction bumpers are large enough to catch on the frame,when the pedal is pushed all the way down. Check this out before you replace the floor boards, so you can trim the bumper. If it catches on the frame, it will not allow the pedal to return all of the way. You may also have to modify your floor boards to allow the bumper to fit into the recess in order to allow the pedal to return to its design height.

Don't forget to put lockwashers on the pedal pads when you reinstall them.

Tom

oldford2    -- 05-13-2017 @ 9:01 AM
  Is it possible to sliced one side of the donut, go underneath, depress the pedal, wrap the donut around the shaft and "reglue" the joint with permatex black adhesive. Just thinking

TomO    -- 05-13-2017 @ 7:52 PM
  That seems like a lot of work compared to removing less than a dozen screws. I don't think that the glue would hold for more tha a few months.

Tom

len47merc    -- 05-14-2017 @ 4:31 AM
  To nelsb01's, oldford2's and TomO's points - in my desire to preserve and minimize further cracking damage to the original but more than fragile floor mat in my '47, instead of removing the floorboard I necessarily soaped one of the pads that had the most clearance around the pedal stem/shaft and the hole in the floorboard and without too much time and effort easily, bit by bit, compressed it from the sides and stuffed/slid it through and into place without damaging it at all from the interior outward (cannot recall which one now but the clearance made it obvious at the time). The other was a no-go without damaging it so I cut a vertical slit in the center-bottom along the mold's parting line in the rubber and, from the bottom of the car, pulled the pedal down and slid it into place. Then using a vulcanizing rubber cement used for innertube patches I glued it and then using a piece of fine black nylon string carefully positioned and wrapped the perimeter and tied it securely without deforming it to hold it in place through the curing process. It has held that way for now 3 1/2 years plus and still looks factory from under the car.

Qualify as well though I have no experience trying this on a '40 (defer to kubes40) and add further that were it not for the floor mat issue I'd have simply removed the floorboard as TomO notes.
Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-14-17 @ 4:54 AM

kubes40    -- 05-14-2017 @ 6:03 AM
  Steve, the floor in a '40 is nothing like that of your car. Kinda apples vs. oranges

len47merc    -- 05-14-2017 @ 12:02 PM
  Thanks Mike - hence my ending disclaimer and deferral to you. There were some good thoughts expressed for other years by those I referenced - I thought others could appreciate some experienced endorsement on. Removing the floorboard would have made a number of the jobs performed easier but the floor mat took priority for me.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-14-17 @ 4:32 PM

JayChicago    -- 05-14-2017 @ 3:11 PM
  To the question of can you slice the donut and install over the pedal from underneath without having to remove the floor:

I did just that as a temporary fix last summer when I first got my car and found the bumpers to be nonexistent. I had sooo many things on the to-do list that I didn't want to take the time to research how to do this job correctly, just wanted a quick fix. I used rubber cement and a rubber band to hold the slice in the bumper together. Well, they stayed on there for a while like that, but on one of my first drives this year the clutch bumper disappeared. (as TomO mentioned above, both untrimmed aftermarket bumpers may rub on the frame when pedal is depressed)
Surprisingly, the brake bumper is still there, rubber band still holding, but probably not for long. So now it's time to do the job properly.

Old Henry    -- 05-17-2017 @ 5:06 PM
  len47merc, New floor mat is available here: https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat.php?searchtype=Search+%23&x=x&year_choice=47&searchtextdesc=front+floor+mat&searchnumber=A-4010

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10746