Topic: 1950 Differential rebuilder

sarahcecelia    -- 05-06-2017 @ 7:49 PM
  Does anybody know a reliable ring and pinion rebuilder in Tampa Bay area of Florida or in Florida?

Regards, Steve Lee

trjford8    -- 05-07-2017 @ 7:34 AM
  Check with your local automotive machine shops. They may be able to do it or refer you to someone who can do it.

sarahcecelia    -- 05-10-2017 @ 11:01 AM
  There are no auto machine shops in my area anymore; even the local NAPA's (3) don't rebuild engines or do valve jobs anymore. There has to be someone in this big state of Florida that a member knows of that does them, because we have some really big car shows on the other coast, like the Turkey Run.I have the shop manual from Ford, and that rear end is a pretty technical rebuild. Any body out there with info ???Anybody have a 4:10 that they "changed out"for a higher ratio, that they know was quiet, and want to sell it???I know guys do that, because the 4:10 runs a motor little on the high revs in town, and people told me to do that, but I want to keep the car "original!"

Regards, Steve Lee

CharlieStephens    -- 05-10-2017 @ 11:54 AM
  If I remember correctly there is a "pumpkin" (center section) in these rear ends. All of the critical/complicated adjustments are made in the pumpkin section. Check with some of the companies that cater to this era of Ford. You may be able to buy one and have it shipped to you so all you would need to do (or have a shop do) is to replace the pumpkin. Be sure to check out the companies in the archives here, on fordbarn.com and on HAMB (https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/).

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-10-17 @ 11:55 AM

sarahcecelia    -- 05-10-2017 @ 6:39 PM
  I know all of this. That item most call "the pumpkin" is the "differential housing." I worked in the 70's for Buick for a while, and VW for a 6 years in the 60's and worked my way up from a lube and oil man to the top mechanic in the shop. As such, I did motor rebuilds and trans axle rebuilds. In the transaxle everything, as in a differential is measured with a vernier caliper and a dial indicator, pressed and shimmed to very close tolerances. I don't have the specific tools or knowledge to do the Ford ring and pinion, and don't want to do a trial and error session. If you know of a shop, or some that can do the 50's differential please advise me.

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 05-11-2017 @ 6:43 AM
  Steve, check with a reliable restoration company in your area and also with the Early Ford V-8 Club Regional groups in the south east section of the country.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 05-11-2017 @ 6:58 AM
  Thanks Tom! Are regional groups listed in the club book that i get in the mail?

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 05-11-2017 @ 7:02 AM
  I looked in the last issue and they are listed, but closest to me is in Georgia, but I'll try.Thanks again Tom!!

Regards, Steve Lee

TomO    -- 05-12-2017 @ 6:30 AM
  The Regional Groups are listed under LINKS on the left hand banner.

I would check with all of the RGs in FL and GA and ship the housing if necessary.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 05-12-2017 @ 5:51 PM
  Under "Links" in what "left hand banner???"

Regards, Steve Lee

40cpe    -- 05-13-2017 @ 7:03 AM
  The "lefthand banner" is the blue portion of the page to the left of this thread. "links" is the fourth word from the bottom. Hover your curser over "links" and you will see the Regional Groups listing.

sarahcecelia    -- 05-13-2017 @ 7:54 AM
  Oh, now I get it! I thought you meant in the club book! You mean on te web site!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

ken ct.    -- 05-13-2017 @ 8:15 AM
  I thought you ment the club book also ,its on the club website. lol ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10742