Topic: 37 brake spring colors and lengths

1937sedandelivery    -- 05-05-2017 @ 10:17 PM
  Hello,
I am restoring my 37 Fordor brakes to original condition (they were juice brakes).
Comparing the Green Book (Ford Chassis Parts and Accessories catalogue 28-48) and The 1937 Ford Book from the V-8 Club, there is a mismatch as to the spring colors vs mfg p/n's. I don't know which to believe.
For example, the 37 Ford Book on page 4-18 states the upper rear leading "RED" spring is p/n 78-2296. The Green Book on page 51 states that p/n 78-2296-A is black. There are other mismatches as well.

Perhaps this has already been discovered and resolved. Can someone please let me know which is correct.

Also, the Green Book (page 35) lists the spring length for two of the four springs, e.g. 78-2034-A is 3.17". Is this the outermost dimension of the spring?

I have a bucket of used springs I got along with some backing plates and am trying to sort out which are which and where they go.

While on this topic, in the Ford V-* Book, page 4-16, can someone validate that the bottom picture of the brake assembly is correct (with respect to the brake spring colors, locations and pull rating)?

As I understand it, the correct springs are critical to ensure the brakes operate correctly.

Thanks for your help,
Gregg

40ford    -- 07-25-2017 @ 5:21 PM
  Hello. I don't see where anyone responded to you. Your observation is correct about the part numbers. I've seen this chart showing the 4 colored spings before and never paid any attention to the part numbers. I have a backing plate set up with the springs in the proper places. The diagram on page 4-16 is correct for the LEFT side of the car (Driver's side). The anchor pin and the adjusting screw are actually rotated a bit counterclockwise and not flat across as in this diagram. What gets confusing is knowing just which side brake you're looking at. From what I can see, the part numbers on that spring diagram on page 4-16 must be wrong. I measured my springs and found this: Black and Red are both 3" long end to end; Black is 2" for the coils; Red is 1 7/8" for just the coil section; Both Green and Orange springs are the same: 4 5/16" end to end; 2 1/2" for the coil length. Of course, all have different tensions. Hope this helps.

MG    -- 07-25-2017 @ 5:37 PM
  He got his response in this thread > https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10756&srow=1&erow=10

1937sedandelivery    -- 07-25-2017 @ 7:35 PM
  Thanks MG.
Just for kicks, I have attached the same file I referenced before. Good backing plate, etc. details.
BTW, just got back from my first spin around the block, it runs darn good for being so old. A few squeaks and rattles but what the heck. Ya gotta push REAL hard on the brake pedal to stop, does take some getting used to, but it doesn't pull or anything, just hard. Lots more to do...
gregg

supereal    -- 08-03-2017 @ 12:18 PM
  That was one of the reasons cable type brakes were only used two years. The cables from the center shaft to the wheels need to move freely in the covers. It is difficult to get all the rust and caked junk out of the assembly. C&G (800/266-0470) used to carry the cables. Part numbers 78-2494 for the fronts, 78-2498 for the rear. Some use the floaters 48-2043 to increase braking power. Woven linings may also help. When all is working and properly adjusted, cable brakes work very well. Hydraulic brakes came in 1939 which eliminated much of the time consuming job of keeping the mechanical brakes safely working, and fewer "white knuckle" stops in traffic.

1937sedandelivery    -- 08-03-2017 @ 3:02 PM
  I did buy new front cables which were decent and heavy duty. The back ones I cleaned up really well. The cables slide easily when lubed. I ended up not using floaters, don't recall if I couldn't find them or wanted to keep it bone stock. In any case, the brakes work well, just requires more pressure than used to with the hydraulics.
Thanks,
Gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10736