Topic: 37 brake illustrations

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-28-2017 @ 6:39 PM
  Hello,
I am restoring my 37 brakes back to original mechanical ones. When I bought the car they were already converted to hydraulics.

So, as part of the restoration process, I like to take things apart and understand how they function. The brakes were a mystery when I first saw them.
Attached is a ppt illustrating the wheel cylinder details. The adjuster was a real bear to free up, lots of WD40 and patience.

Please correct any of my observations. I bought a set of backing plates and not sure of the history or originality of them.

Thanks,
Gregg

ford38v8    -- 04-28-2017 @ 9:25 PM
  Gregg, it looks like a previous owner had discovered that the Self Energizing feature of the Hotchkiss design left something to be desired, hence the copper bushing. The problem lays with the actuators lack of ability to self-center as intended, due to the pressure exerted on those surfaces that need to slide. Apparently, the copper bushing was added by someone to help that situation ?

The Bendix system that I told you about in your previous post is truly free floating, no side pressure applied at all. I'm at a loss to advise you where to get those floaters, have you had any luck?

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 04-29-2017 @ 4:54 AM
  The marking .10 is an identifier for the 37 brake wedge 78-2041. You will find information in several places for the cable brake system:
ABC of brake adjustment Ford Service Bulletin Dec 1936. more in Feb. 1937, April 1937, July 1937, Aug. 15, 1938 subject 2494.
There are several identifying diagrams of parts in the Ford Chassis Parts book of April 1949
Suggest you check with Southside Obsolete in Minn. for springs, pins, etc. Fred at Southside has a web page. Third Gen Automotive in Tenn may also have some parts.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 4-29-17 @ 4:55 AM

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-29-2017 @ 8:11 AM
  Hey Alan,
Good input on the original design. I will put the copper piece back in for final assembly.
No luck on floaters. I checked with C&G, Dennis Carpenters and AllFordParts.

Question: should there be some sort of lubricant in the wheel cylinder (that's what I all it). Maybe some high temp grease? Possible concern with it leaking out and getting onto the linings?

Thanks,
Gregg

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-29-2017 @ 8:22 AM
  Hi 40Coupe,
I will have to chase down some of those documents. I have the Green Book and 37 Chassis Parts List. The details you provided will get added to my ppt. I like to have as much detail as possible, good to pass on to others.

I will check the places you mention. Definitely will need springs and who knows what else as I dig through the rest of the brakes. Already have brake cables on order. I have a total of 8 backing plates (spares are always good to have) and plan to restore them all. BTW, do you know if the brake shoe adjusting links, 78-2042, are supposed to be partially painted or left completely raw?

Thanks,
Gregg

40 Coupe    -- 04-29-2017 @ 9:24 AM
  78-2042 are not painted. New they come with a heavy plating to prevent rust.

1937sedandelivery    -- 04-29-2017 @ 3:33 PM
  Thanks, I just won an EBAY bid for a NOS set of four!
gregg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10718