Topic: 47 ford camshaft replacement

jamesmundstock    -- 04-27-2017 @ 6:09 PM
  Can anyone tell me if the cam can be replace with the engine in the car?

Stroker    -- 04-28-2017 @ 8:36 AM
  The "short answer is Yes. In the "days of yore" when we would "swap cams" for performance, it's the way it was done.

Because the cam must be withdrawn and replaced in the block in PERFECT alignment with the cam bearing journals; there can be no "wiggle-room" when removing or re-installing.

It will require removing the radiator, and in the case of your 47, you might even have to remove some of the grille components in order to get an unencumbered "straight-shot" from the front. Also, I liked to remove the timing gear before completely withdrawing the cam, as it "free's-up-space" when maneuvering past the "tin-work".

Before you open the motor up, You can measure the distance between the front of the timing gear and the grill area sheet metal to see what you will have to remove to provide clearance for the withdrawn length of the cam shaft.

Not much "fun" due to having to lean over the fenders to remove the valve spring retainers, but pretty much "standard procedure".

Only real "issue" is that if you are replacing the cam due to worn bearings; I'd definitely pull the engine rather than attempting to replace cam bearings with the motor in the car.

This message was edited by Stroker on 4-28-17 @ 9:04 AM

oldford2    -- 04-28-2017 @ 6:22 PM
  Are you missing a step?? Don't you first have to pull the heads, intake and remove the valve assemblies??

This message was edited by oldford2 on 4-29-17 @ 5:07 AM

jamesmundstock    -- 04-29-2017 @ 9:37 AM
  Thanks Stroker. That was a big help. This engine is in pretty good shape so I was going to gamble without replacing the cam bearings. I have done it several times on OHV engines and never had a problem. The early 307 Chevy cams had softer lobes and had a problem with rounding off. It just has to last the summer. Next winter the motor is coming out to be bored and install a stroker crank.

jamesmundstock    -- 04-29-2017 @ 9:38 AM
  Thanks for the reply. I pretty much had that figured out but thanks for the reply anyway.

Stroker    -- 04-30-2017 @ 2:59 PM
  oldford2, My apologies.

I just "assumed" that jamesmundstock likely KNEW that he'd have to pull the heads, intake would also need to remove the distributor, timing cover, etc. Assumptions are dangerous, I know; but I figured he was aware of where in the engine the camshaft was likely located.

These Forum pages are read by many folks other than just the person who asked the original question. I'll try to be a little more explicit next time so as not to "confuse" the newbies.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10716