Topic: 35/36 Glass Headlight Lens & Rim Fit

36fordor    -- 04-23-2017 @ 11:34 AM
  Have been through the aftermarket headlight lens clip issue & settled on the binder clips suggested by Tom Morookian. Regardless of lens clips used my lens do not center well in rim. Appears lens & rim slightly different size. Not certain if either my lens or rim or both are aftermarket.

This is relatively small problem, the kind generally only noticed or known by the car builder or owner. However, it bugs me after all the time spent massaging my 1936 & 1935 headlights. Question is whether anyone can honestly say their mid-30s glass lens center in their rims well, i.e., virtually perfectly. I’m going to move on, not to be so anal but am interested in others’ experiences with stock & aftermarket glass lens & rims fitting, centering well.

Thank you.

This message was edited by 36fordor on 4-23-17 @ 11:35 AM

nelsb01    -- 04-23-2017 @ 12:04 PM
  1936 Ford pickup comparison since the headlight buckets are similar to the passenger car.
The retaining stainless rim will catch on the top of the head light bucket and then be held closed with the spring loader catch at the bottom of the stainless rim.
I am using original clips for the reflector. As I have understood the discussions here and elsewhere, they clip to notches on the backside of the bulb reflector and then clip into the headlight bucket. A thin square cork gasket then fits in the notch that goes all around the outer edge of the reflector. This is what keeps the lens centered and from moving once the stainless rim is attached.

3w2    -- 04-23-2017 @ 5:54 PM
  Not to prolong your angst, but I can honestly say I have never installed a lens in a rim with the right clips and had the lens end up not centered in the opening in the rim. All of the parts were/are original equipment without exception.

Bruce,

With respect, the centering of the lens in the rims of Model As through '36s is unrelated to the mounting of the reflector in the lamp housing or the gasket between the lens and reflector.

nelsb01    -- 04-24-2017 @ 4:32 AM
  Here is a picture of the W clips that hold the glass lens to the stainless rim.
There are 3 of them -- located at 12, 4, and 8 (using the clock circle reference)
The tops of the W clip under the inner lip of the stainless.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 4-24-17 @ 4:35 AM

Karl Wescott    -- 05-08-2017 @ 1:49 PM
  Drake repro 1936 rims are slightly undersized and have exactly that problem. I troubleshot this with my original rims and lenses and with repro lenses, the problem only occurred with the Drake rims. I followed the same procedure with Drakes 1935 rims, original rims, original lenses, repro lenses and everything seemed to work OK.

JM    -- 05-14-2017 @ 8:49 PM
  My original '35 headlight rings and glass lenses all fit perfectly using the stock wire form spring clips. Just picked up a nice set of stock '35 headlight rings and lenses at a car show/swap meet last weekend and they also fit together perfectly. Picture attached. Maybe the answer is to forget using those repros and concentrate on finding original used or nos parts instead.

John

JM    -- 05-14-2017 @ 8:51 PM
  Picture of other side.

John

ken ct.    -- 05-14-2017 @ 9:10 PM
  Is it possible your using a 36 glass,36 bucket and parts , BUT using a outer ss rim from a 35 I think they are diff?? ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10701