Topic: 1951 Ford Custom 6V Radio

DJ    -- 04-23-2017 @ 5:08 AM
  When I got the car, the radio was not working. I found the power wire disconnected; hooked it up and it began to play. A couple of trips later, It quit working again. I have power, but no sound. I have a spare radio, but before I replace, any suggestions for an EZ fix. I did see one possible issue. There are 2 wires going to the speaker. But there is a white wire coming out the top of the speaker that is not connected to anything. I tried grounding it, but did not help. Couple other questions. I am assuming the car does not have to be running, for the radio to play? Also, when I get it working, are there important "rules of engagement"? Like always power off prior to starting car, etc?

fla48    -- 04-23-2017 @ 7:33 PM
  Just a thought, have you tried rapidly turning the radio off and on several times in quick succession? If the radio then comes on, it will indicate the vibrator is bad.

TomO    -- 04-24-2017 @ 7:04 AM
  The ignition switch needs to be on or in the accessory position in order for the radio to work. If the vibrator is working, you should hear a slight hum from the speaker when the radio is not on a station.

Tom

DJ    -- 04-24-2017 @ 9:02 PM
  I am not getting any sound from the radio or the speaker. No hum or static at all. I'll pull it out this weekend and see if the other radio works. I have the main fuse connection; says use 14 amp,fuse. Also have a wire coming out of the radio which I believe is for the light. Then I have the 3 prong speaker connector. Do I need a ground wire at all? Thank you

TomO    -- 04-25-2017 @ 6:33 AM
  The radio case mounting serves as the grounding source.

Tom

Drbrown    -- 04-28-2017 @ 11:14 PM
  Regarding your third/spare wire, (1) a Ford Service Bulletin for radios says that as far back as the late '40 models, some radios were provided with three-wire speakers .... why I don't know .... mine have been two-wire; (2) the prong connectors on the speaker harness that attaches to the radios typically may have a varying number of prongs, in different diameters, and the internal connections only use the ones needed, i.e. my '47 has a five-prong connector but the radio only uses two of them.

Vibrators in these radios were notorious for faulting. As said, if working, the speaker should hum. Also, if you can get the cover off the radio, turn it on and touch the vibrator canister; you should feel it vibrating. Try carefully pulling out and replacing the vibrator and each tube to be sure their sockets are connecting .... some electronic spray cleaner on the connectors may help.

Vibrators tend to either work or not work at all. You say you get failure after a short use so perhaps something might be shutting-down after warming up, thus indicating a faulty tube ..... capacitors or resistors less likely.

Vibrators. including modern/better ones, as well as tubes are available. The Ford Service Bulletin describes a sequence of tube testing to find which one may be defective.

DJ    -- 04-30-2017 @ 4:47 PM
  Finally got back to the radio, and you were exactly right. I tried turning it off/on rapidly as you directed, and the radio came on. I let it play for 5-10 minutes then shut it down. Turned it on a few minutes later and it came on the first attempt. I'll see how it goes. Thank you all so much for helping me diagnose the problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10699