Topic: instrument cluster cleaning and testing

olefrank    -- 04-13-2017 @ 8:49 PM
  I have a 41 Ford Custom that I'm working on. The instrument panel in it is dirty and I don't know if all the gauges work. I'd like to get someone who knows what he's doing to look at it and tell me how to proceed. Does anyone have a contact for such work? OR does anyone know how I can go about cleaning it and checking if the gauges work?
Thanks in advance.
Frank

TomO    -- 04-14-2017 @ 8:37 AM
  The gauges probably work as they are very hardy. The easiest way to check them out is to connect a battery to the car and turn on the ignition switch. The gauges should move to the engine off condition, gas gauge from full to level of gas, oil pressure to zero, temp to cold, and ammeter to slight discharge.

If you have the panel out of the car, connect a 6 volt battery neg terminal to the buss bar that connects the gas and oil pressure gauges and touch a jumper lead from the pos terminal of the battery to the other terminal of each gauge. The gauge needle should move when you do this. Do not hold the jumper from the pos terminal on the gauge for more than a few seconds. Connect the neg terminal to the side of the Temp gauge that is closest to the ammeter and the touch the jumper from the pos terminal to the other gauge post. You will need a running engine to check out the ammeter.

I use a detail spray like Meguiers Quick Detailer to clean the gauge face. Spray some on a Q-tip cotton swab and test and area on the edge of the gauge, to make sure that it will not remove the paint. If all is OK, continue with the cleaning, being very careful around the needle as they bend easy.

Tom

len47merc    -- 04-14-2017 @ 1:11 PM
  In addition to TomO's excellent advice, will add to be very cautious and careful if attempting to clean the gauge side/back side of the gauges' glass as the silk-screened numbering and lettering can very easily be damaged and will wipe away with even the most mild of cleaners - like water for instance. If you do attempt to clean the glass solicit for input here on the best methods before proceeding. In the words of another more senior and knowledgeable and routine supplier of high quality advice on this Forum - 'Ask me how I know'.

Steve

supereal    -- 04-14-2017 @ 1:28 PM
  We clean gauge faces with Q tips dipped in distilled water. Before proceeding, try it in an inconspicious place to be sure no damage will result. Most dials were silk screened, but time has caused some printing to be fragile.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10677